original Peterson Strobo Stomp died

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Randyt, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    Well after many years...I think @ 8 years my tuner finally died...called for service...they are going to send me a new board...hopefully they have some in stock as the unit is very old...
    Well, bit the bullet and ordered a new classic stomp!!..if I get another 8 years...pretty decent investment

I personally think its the best tuner on the market!..pricey ...but the best~

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Times have moved on. There are better (or at least "as good") tuners for much less money these days.

3. Randyt

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    what tuners would they be?

4. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Actually I had the same experience with my original blue Strobo Stomp. Contacted the very nice, very helpful people at Peterson (Susan I think) and the shipped me a new board. For free. Took 10 minutes to install and now it works perfectly again. In fact it's better than previous one since it has metal instead of plastic jacks.

You're right that there are some better options out there these days and I'd don't need strobe accuracy for on stage tuning but this has been and continues to be my go to pedal for setups. Maybe it's just psychological but I really feels like the strobe is more accurate for fine tuning like a setup. On stage I mostly use Planetwaves Micro Headstock tuners. About $12 on amazon.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I have no first hand experience but I hear nothing but good things about the Turbo Tuner. FWIW, I have a Strobo Stomp (gray finish) on my pedalboard and it works like a champ.

Riis

6. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
  7. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I have both the original, blue Peterson Strobo Stomp and the Turbo Tuner. I prefer the Strobo Stomp. The display is more intuitive to me and it has a DI if I ever need one if my amp craps out. The downside of the SS for me is a short battery life; I'll only use it on my powered pedal board.

Good timing on this thread. After having the SS for years, the output jack just started getting flaky. If I wiggle the output cable, the display blanks out. Based on this thread, I'll see what they can do for me.

8. Randyt

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    It was susan that helped me out...great service...now hopefully the new board works...but as a back up I ordered a new strobo stomp classic...more robust/heavy duty construction.

9. I have the Peterson stroboclip that works extremely well!

10. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Sorry to hear about that. it's a major drag when a musical gear dies out on you. I don't know that much tuners, but if you're thinking of getting a back-up tuner in case something happens to your replacement tuner, check out the korg tuners. a friend of mine has one on his rig and it seems to tune very well. I would of figured that korg make decent tuners.

11. Randyt

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    Thanks for the input guys...I have been using Peterson Tuners for many many years...I really dig the accuracy of these tuners...also with the addition of sweetened and tempered tunings...it makes a huge difference...the new tuner was only $210.00.

On a personal note...I've have played with many a musician that had Tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment and a 10 dollar tuner!...just makes me giggle ...just a bit!!

Thanks

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021