1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Original SVT price

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by megadan, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Does anyone remember how much the 70's SVT heads would have cost?
    I'm wondering how their price (adjusted for today's dollars) compares to the price of the SVT-VR (which is around $2000 from what I'm seeing).

2. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I may be wrong, but weren't the very first SVT's sold is a head/810/810 combo?

3. In '69, sure, they probably were, being sold to big touring acts. But after a few years they must have been priced separately, no?

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    That's all I saw in 69, 70, 71, etc.

I think the whole rig was like $990, but then...
    it was the 60's and since I was there, I don't really remember....:D :D :D

5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    the ampeg history book says:

1969 list price for SVT/2 8x10 cabs was $1450

1978 list price was $2175

1994 list price of the SVT-CL and single 8x10 cab was $2500

6. I seem to remember one head and cab being around 1000.00 brand new during the early 70's. A complete set up was two cabs and a head back then and it was highly recommended to buy the complete set up as one cab was rated at 240 WRMS and back then bands were a lot louder, I blew several SVT 10"s back then using only one cab, when I bought the other one the problem went away. Of course it also went away as I gradually turned down over the years also.
    I bought a used cab and head in 1976 for 450.00. I sold it in 1995 for health reasons only, bought several more around 2000 and still have two: a 76 and a 77 and three old cabs with original speakers.. I would get a 70's SVT head before I bought a new SVT-VR.

7. I don't think they were released to the general public until after The Rolling stones torture tested them on their 69 tour, and you could always buy them separately, although it was always highly recommended to buy a head with two cabs. That set up sounds awesome, two heads and two cabs sounds even better.

8. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I remember back in the early to mid 70's one of the local music stores had a new SVT with two 810 bottoms. It was priced at $950 as I remember. I remember thinking how cool that rig was, but also thinking how expensive it was. I ended up buying a new Peavey Bass head and a 215 bottom for like $400...and I had to purchase it through a payment plan. I also recall that although my payment was only about $40 a month, it was late almost every month. Those were the days....

9. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    this all made me curious... so I found a site to compare (measuringworth.com).

original dollar in 1969 list @ $1450 street @ $1000
    equivalent in 2007 $8198 $5654

current VR and 2 cabs list $5597 street @ $4000

seems reasonably priced based on that.

10. Nice legwork. It does seem pretty reasonable when you look at it that way I guess :p

Of course, how much would a vintage SVT and two vintage cabs cost now a days? Haha. Probably still around $4000 - $4500.

11. Bassman822

Bassman822

Sep 1, 2007
    Bessemer, AL
    When I bought my SVT head in 72, list was $700, i got it for $420 + shipping from Mannys in NYC

12. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    +1 to that. I wasn't around then, but that is what the Ampeg book implies. It states that all prototypes were on the road with the stones in the fall of 1969...or something along those lines (if memory serves me correctly).

13. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Price has actually come down in real dollars.