1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

originals or covers "my morning vent" where do I go from here.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tajue17, Mar 24, 2013.

1. I know this is stupid but I've been in 26 bands since 86' 2 of those bands have been cover bands pretty much top 40 stuff maybe doing obscure songs from those top 40 bands,, I actually hated it with the passion and quit both because I just didn't feel right playing other bands songs as an entire set..... people either bitched we didn't play it note for note or people bitched we didn't ad our own flavor I just didn't feel right on stage--jamming was fine but live was torture and I wouldn't even invite my friends or girlfriends like I was embarressed, the last cover band was maybe 97 and since I did 3 original bands with the latter making to the House of blues opening for national acts and pl;aying many shows until the singers wife made him come home and make babys,, but the feeling was perfect seeing people getting into songs your band wrote, it didn't matter if there where 3 people there or 300!!!!!

okay present day since I moved 50 miles from the city I have been struggling to find the right original band here in the burbs,,, my friggen age is killing it for me where I'm finding decent bands but nobody wants a 40yr old and I agree if they are all in their 20's I won't do it anyway but every single band I find where they are my age its either blues or cover tunes,,,,,,, my background is heavy music and I really don't listen to the blues or even the mainstream radio burt I'd play alternative to heavier stuff just something that rocks...

now that I vented and you may still be here have any of you older bassists been in this type of situation,, should I give in and do something I don't really want to do just to keep doing it,, or should I just hang it up and move on to something else..

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Don't look at it as playing covers ... look at it as playing songs that people actually want to hear.

With original bands you get gigs where the bar books 3 or 4 bands in one night and each band gets $20. The people sit and listen and try to figure out if they like your songs. Cover bands you get the whole night and people get excited when they hear songs they like to dance to.

There is no shortage of musicians who can write a mediocre song that has no hook. I have no interest in playing those songs.

But I also understand the fun of creating a new piece of music and working it out with a band.

As you get older you can re-invent yourself. Try playing Blues, or pop, or country, expand your horizons. In the 80s I played with a blues artist. I was reluctant to do this at first, but it was really good experience because it taught me to play with feeling.

3. thanks for the post...... after thinking about it I can't just give it up 1st I'll never get back what I have into my gear and once I do something good will come along..... the big problem I have with blues is every blues cover band plays the same stuff,, I did get into the very old grass roots stuff though.

4. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    I'm 42 and I do both. I like each for it's own reason. One thing I'm not good at is playing with novice musicians.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I think you where playing covers in the wrong venues. I have never once had anybody complain I didn't play it note for note. I have had lots of people say "you played it just like the record" when I was just winging it. I have had people praise that I captured the feel of the original. But never that I didn't play it note for note. If people are dancing, who cares?

IMHO, unless you are the primary song writer, there is really no difference between originals and covers. But I don't play note for note and only use the original as a reference. Just as I would use the scratch bass line (if there is one) as a reference in an original. YMMV.

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    My experience has been just the opposite of yours.

I've been in a few original bands, and I thought the tunes were pretty good, but the singer song writers were such pretentious D-Bagues that I was embarrassed on stage.

My cover band experience had had it share of D-Bagues, but, the bands were all more or less popular, and they were fairly lucrative.

Music is music IMO. it's not so much the tunes you play as who you play those tunes with.

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Well, here's the thing. You can't have it both ways. I don't know why you moved to the burbs, but you did. I'm sure you had good reasons. Now, being a 40 year old living in the burbs who only wants to play original harder music makes YOU the oddball, not your surroundings. You have a couple of choices it seems. Either move to a market where you can play in the kind of band you like, (but I'm sure there are things to give up going this route). Or you can play the music that is being played by people like you where you are. But there's really no middle ground. You can't talk your way into a band of twenty somethings where you are, and you can't talk any forty somethings into playing harder originals where you are. Either move, or play what people like you are playing where you are.

My grandfather always said, "People actually know what to do in a tough spot right off the bat. They just don't want to live with that choice, so they ACT as though it is a tough choice. But it's not."

If it were me, I would find some good guys to play with. Like Phalex said, music is music. I have never understood people who have a problem with covers. I absolutely understand the PREFERENCE for originals, but the refusal to play covers as some sort of moral high ground is just strange to me. I'm not saying you are wrong. I am just saying I don't get it. I don't throw around right and wrong. Try to find some guys to play with, and ask them if you can bang out a few originals to get through your need to do your own thing. I can't imagine having a problem with an original song here and there if I were in a covers band, as long as it wasn't way out in left field from the genre of the band.