1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Originals or covers? What is the scene like now for the younger ones?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sef, Oct 30, 2010.

1. sef

sef

Oct 24, 2010
    I'm not too old, I'm 37 but when I played in the early 90's we played mostly originals. (Hair band) Two sets with 3 or 4 covers mixed in. I'm just getting started playing again after a long layoff of 15 years or so. I don't want to play out again, but I'm just curious what the scene is like nowadays.

Do the people still like to hear originals? Or is it all about the covers?

2. You neglected to disclose your location...

3. atlboriqua

atlboriqua

Nov 13, 2007
    I think the venue you are playing in would determine a lot of that. My cover band has been doing clubs and bars around Atlanta and the best crowd response comes from songs that they know and that they could dance to. We throw in an original here and there and it goes okay but nothing compared to covers that people know and love.

4. sef

sef

Oct 24, 2010
    I'm in Akron, Ohio.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Depends on the venue. Some venues want originals, some want covers, some accept both ;) For some reason blues bands that play only covers aren't usually considered cover bands.

It seems most bars have a set limit. So say it is $300. Great money for a duo. Ok for a trio. Sucks for a larger band. Really sucks for an originals band that can only play two sets and needs to split with another band.

6. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    DJ, kareoke (sp?)

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    If you don't mind not getting paid, do originals.

8. We need some Akron-area people to chime in about the scene there... Some areas are better for originals, some for covers...

9. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA

San Diego scene

Covers will get you tons of gigs

Originals are tougher

10. Original bands here are mostly younger and hipper.......basically the college aged crowd. There are exceptions but once musicians get into their 30's and beyond......there may be a cover band in your future. That is - if your want to make a little coin to supplement your musical passions.

11. I'm from Cincinnati, and Cincy is strictly a cover band city. I've worked and partied and seen live bands in Columbus, Indy, Louisville, Lexington, and Cleveland. In Cincy, you almost never hear anyone do a original that is out making money, 1 per show at the most. Columbus is the only city around here that I've ever heard alot of originals mixed in with covers. The other places maybe a handfull throughout their sets, but in Cincy, almost never.

12. sef

sef

Oct 24, 2010
    I just posted this to see how everything has changed through the years. I wondered what the scene was like today and my thoughts seem to be right. Back in the late 80's early 90's in my area at least you played originals mostly. We were trying to get signed.

The following you had knew your songs and bought your cd's. They sang along with your music. I was guessing that the scene of today for the most part was cover based. That is cool also. I was just wondering.

Thanks everybody.

EDIT- I have not played since the early 90's and haven't stepped into a live band club for years. I will play again soon, but just in my own house. Just curious about the scene today.

13. Tylertimestwo

Tylertimestwo

Mar 10, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Where I'm at (Austin, TX) you can still play originals and get paid, but to make good money you need to be able to entertain for 2-3 hours. We have about 5 gigs around texas where we can play originals 10-2am and get paid $500+. Or, we can play a short set 45 min or so and make $100 total or less.

14. There aren't many bars in Denver that book covers... At least the ones I go to. I think it's awesome. They do, however, book a few tribute bands. There are good Clash, Guided By Voices, and Replacements tribute bands around here & they're booked fairly regularly.