1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

origins of the "oh! darling" turnaround (i-iv-i-v)?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by envika, Sep 9, 2008.

1. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    who knows where that turnaround comes from? i.e. the first recording that used it, or at least which musical tradition it comes out of? because it's my favorite blues turnaround.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Blues...dating back to slavery days, I would assume.

3. I surmise that is correct. It was certainly common already in early rock 'n' roll from the mid-to-late 1950s.

Bluesy Soul :cool:

4. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    If you are really interested in the 'roots of blues' you might check out the Alan Lomax recording he made in the late 1940's of black prisoners in an Alabama prison. These older folks had learned the songs from their parents who were pretty close in age to the slaves of the 19th century. They are singing as they do their work. This is as close to slave songs and we can get. What is interesting is that you can hear the same harmony changes and little phrases in the singing along with typical vocal inflections. The recordings are not uplifting and in fact quite depressing, but very, very interesting.

5. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    +1. One of the best classes I ever took when I was getting my undergraduate degree was The History of Miles Davis. Miles was a blues guy, so naturally we studied a lot of blues. My professor was a cat by the name of James Newton, jazz flutist who had toured and played with Miles. Anyway, he had us listen to an old library of congress recording of a slave preacher giving a sermon at a makeshift church on an actual slave plantation. His intonation, and melodic way of speaking was the blues. Even the call and response he had with his sermon.

6. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    I don't think early blues had any turnarounds like that, certainly not the chain gang chants and field hollers Lomax recorded. It's more of a show tune/Tin Pan Alley thing, common in triplet-based R&B ballads throughout the 1950s, but likely a bit earlier in origin. I'd sure be interested to find the first recorded instance too.