Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Origins of the word "gig"?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Eyescream, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I've always been curious when and why the word "gig" entered the musician's vernacular.

So... tell me if you know. :)

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, not even Mirriam-Webster knows. I think we're gonna be hard up to figure it out.

Function: noun
    Etymology: origin unknown
    : a job usually for a specified time; especially : an entertainer's engagement

3. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Crap. I hate when I get something like this stuck in my craw.

4. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    K, I found something.

There's another meaning for it, too; I just remembered. A friend of mine was in the Air Force Academy, and I remember reading something about the "gig line", that is the line that goes from the zipper of the pants and continues through the belt buckle and up the buttons of the shirt. You get in trouble if it's not straight.

Well, so much for trying to incite conversation. :spit:

5. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Gig'em Aggies? I wish I had some Aggies to gig with. :rolleyes:

As far as the origin, your guess is as good as mine. :confused:

6. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Gig'em Aggies.
    I know you have to pay to leave Jersey, but is it really that cut off from the rest of the country?
    ;)

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd guess it's a shortened form of engagement.

8. You mean like eloping?

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Nyuk nyuk nyuk.

10. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Ummm...I still don't get it. All I can discern is that it has something to do with Texas. :confused:

As far as being cut off from the rest of the country goes, look who's talking, Pennsylvania, home of the Amish. :p

11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

When I was in Air Force Officers' Training School in San Antonio way back in the early sixties, we were given "gigs" which were demerit points for infractions such as having dust on the window sill, not having our army cots properly made, having "contraband" or unapproved items in our dresser drawers, and various failings such as that. If we accumulated a certain number of "gigs", we were not allowed to leave the base on weekends. There were so many rules and it was so easy to mess up accidentally, I , for one, was almost always stuck on base for the weekend.

12. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Hellfire, I don't even know what I remember anymore. That usage sounds familiar, too; but I can't tell if it's actually a memory of something I was told or read or if I'm just reading into it so that I don't look like a moron in public. :D