1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Orion n For whom.. bass tracks..

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by makanudo, Apr 16, 2009.

1. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    Well, two of cliff's signature songs.. enjoy, comment, and dont flame please.

Orion:

2. Awesome - how did you come by these. I would love to get a hold of something like Phantom of the Opera by Maiden.

3. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    they are from the master tracks that come with guitar hero metallica, they are not mine, i take no credit for them, i think they use audacity or some software of that sort to isolate them.

4. adge

adge

Jun 8, 2006
    sydney, australia
    WOW!!

that's very very cool!!!

found it really interesting to hear during Orion that they had bounced both guitars onto the bass track(s) in the bridge!! (around the 6:50 mark)

5. theunknowndude

theunknowndude Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    VERY VERY awesome!!!!

6. Hey adge - do you mean the last piece of the solo - if that's the bit you mean it's actually a few different bass tracks mixed together with effects etc. That's Cliff wailing!
    Interesting to hear a few things without guitar over the top to obscure exactly whats going on. In Battery Cliff doesn't actually play the full 'gallop', rather a more 8th note approach (totally sufficient by the way) and in Puppets he doesn't actually cop the full guitar riff either, sticking more to the E pedal tone (which you can kinda hear on the original recording). This is not to try and detract from the man - it's obvious he could go with the best of them. He just played what needed to be played. Awesome!

7. i was waiting for these to turn up on youtube, thank you so much for posting them!
    all we need now is the call of ktulu master bass track.

8. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    I dont think there will be one since it doesnt come with guitar hero metallica, but there is a venue that is underground in an ice cave where ktulu shows his eye and tentacles, and you play the thing that should not be..

9. oh well, maybe they'll have it as downloadable game content or something in the future.
    i need to get my hands on guitar hero metallica, that venue sounds pretty cool :p

10. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    yeah i just played fade to balck in it and made a 1000+ note streak before choking on the solo, its a pretty easy song, just need to slow down my fingers during the solo..

11. I didn't realize he hit so hard. I mean, he's basically slapping with the fingers!

12. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Just to clarify, Guitar Hero and Rock Band use the original masters for their games... if these are not available they either have the band re-record the song or they have studio musicians cover it. When they don't use the original masters they make it very clear that it's a remake.

13. FSSmikey

FSSmikey

Mar 7, 2009
    Miami FL
    i can see (or hear?) why cliffs bass always seemed to get lost in the mix. very mid-range sound, similar to james guitar...

14. Guz2

Guz2

Apr 18, 2009
    I've been looking for an Iron Maiden bass track for AAAGES!

15. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Agreed. Not that they left him a lot of eq to work with, but he wasn't doing himself any favors by using the tone he had.

16. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    What does he do in the beginning of Orion tonewise? It sounds more like a hammond organ.

17. Phalanx

Phalanx

Apr 4, 2005
    No, he just has poor technique.

18. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    I actually think those kind of bass "clanks" sounds cool when sticking out through the mix!

But then again, I'm a Cliff fanboy...

19. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Cough cough I think a troll farted in here

20. Phalanx

Phalanx

Apr 4, 2005
    You keep telling yourself that.