Orion troubles

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Oct 5, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    To anyone who noticed my other post, i have now learned all of orion (except the boring stuff) except the solo, and as for YYZ, im taking it slow

I am having some real troubles with playing the solo though, mainly because its so high on the neck. i play a G&L L-2000 tribute, and i find playing that high that fast extremely difficult. I was wondering what a good way is to go about learning that solo, and some good exercises for developing speed/dexterity high on the fretboard as well

Any other orion-related advice would be much appreciated

2. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    I think after the solo when all instruments starts playing,bass is the hardest part.You could use guitar pro on such hard parts and it may work for you.At least it worked for me.You said you have a G&L but i have a Washburn Xb120 and i can play most of the song(except that hard part but i did not try to play it yet).Isn't the G&L supposed to be faster than my Washburn?
  3. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    i use power tab, its fine, and ive learned the whole thing except for the bass solo, which i find really hard

The G&L is fast and great, its just i find the high up frets a little tricky to get to

Any advice?
  4. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    I don't know how you practice but you could practice sitting or if you practice standing you may try to higher up your bass so high frets are easier to reach.One more thing is start from slow metronome,learn to play slow and then you can go faster.
  5. are you sure you have the right tab? you say high up the neck but from what i can remember the highest fret used is 14th on the A string. that said i always practices sitting down...
    if you want another song to practice playing "high" frets check out for whom the bell tolls - simple but effective.
  6. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I have the tab, im quite certain its right, i think the problem is that most people think this is a guitar solo. The tab i have is powertabs, it is the same as the tab on this site. Is this the right tab, and if so, what are some good exercises to get faster on the high frets

I can play for whom the bell tolls, its good but its slow, the solo in orion is fast.

(The solo starts at around 06:35, and it is bass)
  7. That's one of those solos that it would be good to have the actual transcription for. You can figure it out by ear, or by using a slow-down program like Transcribe, but there's a lot of harmonization between the guitar and the bass near the end at the arpeggio section (I think the last decending lick is even doubled by a lower octave, but my ears could be tired). Try and sneak a peak at the book at a music store if you can't buy it.

As for the physical aspect - yeah it's tough. The first note of the solo sounds like a half release bend on the G string 23rd fret pulled off to the 21st. Definitely wear your bass high - and don't snap a string ;)
  8. ***? that is a guitar solo! the bass tab for that part is:
    (6:35) X4 Times

play along with the GUITAR solo and you'll see it fits and you'll be able to pick the bass line out of the mix - its fairly audible.
    fwiw i thought you were talking about the earlier bass solo starting at 3:59.
    let me know what you think
  9. No, it's bass - just sounds like guitar (one thing Cliff was great at). While it's distorted like guitar, you can hear there's a slightly different timbre. The solo was overdubbed - that's why there's still a root pattern bass line playing.