Orlando Central Florida luthier suggestions wanted

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Marcus Willett, May 17, 2016.

1. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Fellow TB'ers,

I recently moved to Palm Bay Florida (Atlantic side, a bit south of Cocoa, Daytona) and I've got a couple instruments I'd like to have some work done on. Nothing major, some fretwork and that type thing.

I also fly out of Orlando a lot, so I included that in the title. Hoping someone can suggest a good luthier/repair man I could use for various things.

Thanks,
    M

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Call Bass Central, I'm sure they can recommend quality luthiers.

3. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Starke, FL
    Owner: JLA Custom In Ear Monitors
    I tend to roll my own when it comes to that sort of thing. That being said, lots of guys in this area seem to like a place called lyrical lumber.

4. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Yeah I figured there would be guys in Orlando. Was just hoping maybe something closer.

As for Lyrical Lumber, it's funny I had a bad deal with them years ago and they ripped me off. Granted, that was 20 years ago and Bill Covert did eventually make it right, so perhaps I should give them or Bass Central a try.

5. Luthiers: @tjclem (Tom @ Clement Bass) and @Cliff Bordwell (CB Basses) are nearby. Tom is in DeLand (about an hour north of Orlando)... I think Cliff is in the greater Orlando area.

I know Tom does some setup/repair work. Not sure about Cliff.

Wait... Marcus... Weren't you in Branson, MO for a long time?

6. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Yes I was, almost 20 years. Long story short (I'm probably going to start a thread about it...there's some interesting tidbits) but family matters and other issues got me off the road and out of Branson. I had a house there for a while I was keeping as a rental property but I sold it last year so I have no ties to the town anymore, save a few good friends still there.

FretFree likes this.
  7. Looking forward to hearing your stories. Interestingly, family obligations pulled me out of a career in California and dumped me an hour-ish north of Orlando about 2 years ago.

Marcus Willett likes this.