Orlando trip - Bass Central - What Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Frijoles Negros, May 28, 2004.

1. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Im going to Orlando this weekend (really need a break) and Im going to go and try out some basses. The thought of spending some real money on a mail order instrument sounds risky.

I love my Ashdown ABM Combo, but I'm outgrowing the Yamaha BBG5S.

Im naturally going to try to play some more Yamaha's, but i dont want to get stuck on the brand name.

I figure Ill have around 500-800 to use for a bass after I write my thesis (in about a month or so). I like to slap, and I like fingerstyle. Low action is a must. Im not entirely sure if weight is a concern - the BBG5S feels fine to me. In fact, the BBG5s is good (spacing - etc.), im just noticing the imperfections more now. I wouldnt mind a flatter fret board, though.

One more- I like to string the 5 string with a high B instead of a low b. If that is not recommended for some reason, Ill just get a 6.
  2. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    my Dean Q4 with EMGs costed about 650, and i love it to death, expecialy for slap style.

lil more costly, but more versitile, GL L-2000 or 2500, nice deep tone, and fat basssy slappin, about 1200 though.

3. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Just email or Pm our good friend Gard before you get there , and he will trot out the red carpet for you.

He will expect you to play every bass in the store.
    It's ok, that's what he does ...

Enjoy ...

I'll bet you will fall in love with something!

4. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Usually it's a high C, but you can string it, tune it, anyway you want.
  5. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    PBeer- Ive heard alot of good things about G&L, im not crazy on the looks though. Deans look nice. Id like to play one to hear how they sound.

Thor- Thats nice to know. ill shoot him an e-mail before I go. Looking over their website, I see they have alot (no yamahas though) in stock. Should be fun. I should have gone there when I was looking for amps.

Yea. I started on classical guitar, so those habits are hard to break. I was wondering if I wasnt aware of something regarding that change, such as the nut needed modification. I guess not.
  6. have a look at some lakland skylines, you could pick up a 55-01. another one to check out would be the new MTD kingston Heir basses.

and it is no big deal going a string up instead of a string down on a 5 string. I had my cirrus tuned EADGC for a while. you just have to buy the correct guages of strings. but the size difference is not that much where it would give you a problem with the nut.
  7. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    I was just checking out pictures of the Skylines - very nice and classic. To be honest, The 55-02 deluxe looks great. Something to save up for. Ive been reviewing this website to get opinions on this price range, and they seem to come up often as a great bass. I also read about them on the Lakland website and i was impressed at the level of quality control. Ill see how that narrower string spacing feels. So far, ive been a big fan of the wide spacing on my Yammy.

Ive seen alot of good reviews regarding the peavey cirrus too. Cant say im crazy about those long horns.
  8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    (...rubs hands evilly...)

...yet another victim!!!!

Black Beans -

There are a few good choices in your price range, I'll be there tomorrow, first guy you see as you walk through the door. We open at 11, close at 5.

Always good to have a TBer stop in, look forward to your visit.
  9. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    yea, the looks of the G&L are a bit to classic for me, but there sound makes it worth it.

Deans have alot of brightness to them , mos are made from basswood, pretty light, but just a bit weak in the low end ( mine has a bit of a growl, but i think its mainly from the amp )

10. Could you PLEASE try out the Used Warwick Thumb Bolt-On 5 string with wide string spacing?! I've been dreaming about that bass for months.

ps. Gard, if you're reading this. I've got a bass and a couple of other things I can trade (plasma, kidneys, etc) What's your policy on that?

Also, call me crazy, but I'm not seeing any Yamaha's in their inventory.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Have a good time and remember to be nice to Gard. :)
  12. Some options for you roughly within your price range --

Cort Curbow
    used Lakland Skyline
    Used Music Man
    Yamaha is a decent choice in your price range
    Ibanez BTB series
    Cort/Elricks are really nice

From my own experiences with Dean, you'd be making a lateral or backward move in quality. I'd go with something else.
  13. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    In the price range you stated, some of the pickup and preamps are not top of the line. When you get to the 800 to 1000 range, there seems to be top of the line pickups available. Ask about this. My Lakland Skyline Joe Osborne that was around 1100 has Lindy Frailin pickups in it that are as good as you can get. There seems to be a price point in that 800 plus range where the wood is ok, the workmanship is good, and the electronics are great. You would never have to swap out the pickups or preamps on those.

Call ahead and ask them if they want you to bring fresh hot coffee.

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    try them all! but wash your hands first..

Gard, be gentle....
  15. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Why be nice to him? He gets paid to act like your friend.... it is what any good pusher.... ahhh I mean salesman should do! Make him earn his pay!

16. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Used Stingray or Sterling.

Used Lakland Skyline.
  17. I'm sure Gard could set him up with one of those triple Omega Alembics...uh, with a wee downpayment of course!
  18. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I was in Orlando 2 summers ago and whoever said get hold of Gard is right. He's great and does in fact want you to play everything in sight. I spent about 3 hours there and everyone was great. I'm going to Orlando in September and am carving out some time to spend at, as Gard told me, Disneyland for bassplayers. Enjoy your visit!
  19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Oh hell...

...I got offered a RARE day off tomorrow, and I just gotta take it! :meh: Grasshopper, Doug, & Beaver will be there, they will take good care of ya, just mention me & TB.

...tell ya what, PM me, let me know about what time you're going to be in, and I'll try and time my trip to the carwash & barbershop (which is two doors from BC) to coincide with that, we can hang a bit even though I'll be "off the clock".

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Now that my friends is customer service :)