Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ornette and Tony Falanga

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by oliebrice, Mar 22, 2005.

1. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    Ornette Coleman is playing in England soon, and I'm wondering whether to go. I really love his acoustic stuff, especially up to golden circle, but am not at all fond of the funky electric stuff.
    Has anyone seen him recently?
    does anyone know the bassist Tony Falanga who is playing with hyim? Greg Cohen is also playing, who is wonderful!
    its very expensive and also involves time off work and travel, so not sure whether it'll be worth it...

2. Sage Gateshead site has:

Ornette Coleman Quartet Friday 29 Apr 8:00 pm
    One of the major great jazz innovators and to many the creator of 'free jazz' Ornette Coleman celebrates his 75th year at The Sage Gateshead- one of only 3 UK concerts.
    Venue: Hall One, The Sage Gateshead

Ornette Coleman- Alto Sax
    Denardo Coleman- Drums
    Greg Cohen- Bass
    Tony Falanga- Bass

Tickets: A/B/C/D £26 E £6

http://www.thesagegateshead.org/wha...e&pageNum=8&eventId=405&datestr=0&typeStr=all

One of the other dates is at the Cheltenham jazz festival and I supose there has to be one in London - QE hall I think.

Jazz Services site is usefless as usual

This and the next two posts are the only dates - just the three I'm afraid.

3. London:

ORNETTE COLEMAN
    UK
    75th birthday concert with quartet and guests. London Barbican, 2 May, 7:30pm, £15-£30, 0845 120 7550.
    www.barbican.org.uk/contemporary

4. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    The London gig was amazing! incredible! Greg Cohen - what a bassist..
    will write a reveiw when I've got more time

5. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    what a gig....
    anyone who gets a chance to see this 4tet should take it. Ornette was wonderful, not lost any of his tone on alto and sounding better than ever on trumpet. Greg Cohen sounded very haden-like, and took a couple of gorgeous solos. Tony Falanga played almost entirely arco, and took the Don Cherry role in the band more than a bassists, playing clean, melodic lines most of the time. When he did try to play a bit of jazz pizz, he wasn't really up to the job, especially in comparison to Greg Cohen.
    Dernado is a good, though not in my opinion great, drummer and kept things moving along.
    But Ornette's playing was magical, really special atmosphere and when they played Lonely women it brought tears to my eyes!
    The only downside to the evening was a boring, soporific and frankly crap set from Andy Sheppard and a percussionist who's name I've forgotten. Such unimaginative programming, the audience was full of great musicians who are continuing the tradition ornette was part of starting, I saw Alan Wilkinson, Lol Coxhill, Roger Turner, Steve Beresford, all the Bates brothers, etc.. any of whom would have been so much more inspired an choice of opener... oh well...
    but go and see Ornette, hes playing as great as ever. All these sax players getting better and better as they get old (Wayne Shorter, Sam Rivers) its a privilege to see them!

6. Confucius

Confucius

Dec 27, 2004
    New York
    I would love to see that group. I wonder if there are any plans to release any recordings for those of us who will not have the privilege of seeing it live.

Right now I am listening to the brand new Masada release and loving Greg Cohens playing.

http://www.tzadik.com/index.php?catalog=7346-2

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I was within a 10 mile radius of a SONY TV when FOX news was running some kind of story on the opening of Ornette's new studio and that quartet was playing. FOX news (of whom I have been within a 10 mile radius of) was kind enough to let about 1.35 seconds of the quartet to be heard.

It was fun to see Ornette on TV, though.

PROFUSION - maybe JVC will hook us up this year, they've sponsored some very successful Ornette concerts inna past.