1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ornette Coleman TWO bassists Montreal Jazz Fest

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by xolin, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Has anyone seen this. 80s maybe.
    One bassist either had the low end or was doing some "effected" soloing/playing (double-entendre) while the other was doing some thumping.
    You couldnt hear them at times though because guitar Meth-addict-menyac was squealing something out of a pipe in need of a lube-job.

I also officially hate electric drums.

Ornette was still playing great over all of this though.
    It has its merits, but I prefer ornette in the more acoustic free-jazz setting...everythings on the same level of craziness there.

2. he was doing the same thing when I saw him here in Nov. His son is on drums - great player.

I thought the 2 bass thing was very cool. I've seen Ron Carter and Stanley Clarke do it also.

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Gald to hear he's still playing.

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I've seen the concert that Xolin mentions. It's from the '85 Montreal Jazz Festival.

It's Ornette Coleman and Prime Time: two bassists (one was Jamaaladeen Tacuma), two guitarists, two drummers, a tabla player and Orrnette! Pat Metheny joins in on his synth-guitar for the final section (and breaks a couple of strings too!). The whole sound is very 80s - i.e. lots of slap bass and electronic drums. Not music for the Wynton Marsalis crowd! ;)

Ornette's touring band for the last few years has been a quartet, with his son Denardo on drums and two double-bass players. I think there is supposed to be a record coming out this year.

5. Cool..wanna hear it. Double bass would be cool.