Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OS X Musical Scales Program

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by WillPlay4Food, Aug 18, 2004.

1. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I tried updating the title of my other thread, but it didn't work so I'm starting a new thread.

I've updated my music scales program for Mac OS X. You can find program details, a screenshot and the download link for the program here.

This update adds all the chords for the selected scale. You can display triad, 7th chords or 2 octave extended chords.

If you have any questions, comments, or whatever, drop it in this thread.

Question for the mods: Is it OK for me to bump this thread when I release program updates?

2. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I changed the GUI to be more compact. Check it out!

3. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I fixed a refresh bug. If you're reading this post for the first time and you're using my program you should grab the update now. :)

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    From the screenshot it looks really cool, Dave! Just need to get it to run on my Win 98 :(

5. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    For the OS X deprived, you can check out a very cool website at www.guitarknowledgenet.com for all kinds of chord and scale fun!

6. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I've made another update to this program in case you're interested. :)

7. what language are you programming this in?

8. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I'm programming this in Objective-C using XCode 1.5 and the GUI is built using Interface Builder (IB). Very cool tools I must say. These tools are included with every copy of OS X, but you would be better served by signing up for a free ADC account (developer.apple.com) so you can download the latest release version.

9. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Just installed it on my iBook. Really cool stuff man, thanks.

10. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I'm just glad the program is of use to more people than me. :)

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I hope you keep at it with the neat, light-weight, music related programs for OS X.

have you looked into getting listed on Macupdate.com and/or versiontracker.com?

12. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I don't plan on listing with either of these places until I've done a bit more with my program, along with making my web page not suck.

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    indeed, the more professional you are the better. Good to wait till you're totally ready.

14. that means spanish.

15. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I've added my first attempt to properly display enharmonic notes. While every note listed is still sonically correct, the note name might not fall under normal convention.

For example, any scales requiring any of these four notes; Cb, Fb, B# or E# will not be displayed correctly. Because of this, sometimes scales will be listed with both sharps & flats. Fixing this will be next, but like I said, the notes displayed are still correct, even if they are listed as say B instead of Cb. :)

16. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I've added chord playback! Woohoo! :D

You can hear the chord played as a whole unit, or one note at a time if you click the Arpeggiate checkbox. This is only the beginning as far as music playback is concerned!

Please let me know of any issues / concerns.

17. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    In case anyone who might be interested but hasn't seen this; bump. :D

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, if you know what I mean. I'm always looking for ways to make this a more useful utility.

18. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Made another update on Halloween. The enharmonic note display works from double flat (bb) to double sharp (+). All scales are now properly displayed.

My question for anyone listening is, what would be the most important next feature to add to this program? I'm torn between adding a way to easily enter progressions (so you could have something to play along with as you practice blues, jazz-blues or whatever crazy concoctions you'd want to come up with) or having the scales and chords displayed as standard sheet music in either treble or bass clef (user selectable).

What do you guys think? If you have another idea, post away. I'm needing a bit of inspiration in order to continue working on this program.

For anyone interested, the source code is now included with the download. Feel free to do whatever you want with it, except sell it.