Oscar Cartaya!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    What do you guys think of this guy??!

I got a video today, a drum video by my new favorite drummer Richie Morales. (hey well okay.. I still love Chambers).. uh anyway.
    Its "hitting the groove" and the bass playing is pretty fantastic! its actually very fantastic!
    Ive listened to my share of Jaco and wooten and I dig it.. but in the context of a song, Oscar is the man. He can still solo and fit in with the band.
    I did a search and found out he plays(played) with spyro Gyra. You guys have any Recomendations?!!
    Im a jazz newbie here.

Thanks alot.
  2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the spyro gyra album fast forward. at least i think its called fast forward. its the one with para mi latino on it.
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Swing Street" form Spyro's Point Of View rips!
    ...& I agree with narud on "Para Mi Latino".

Couple years back, a "Jazz-light" co-worker brought in a Herb Albert's Passion Dance with Cartaya...good stuff.
  4. mmorrissey10

Sep 24, 2002
    Para Mi Latino is sick! Cartaya is pretty amazing, but I think I like Scott Ambush (Spyro Gyra's current bassist) a lot better. And the fact that he makes his own basses just makes him the man!!!
  5. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i hung out with him here in town.

he testified at a field Congressional hearing here in san antonio for the musicians' union. he testified against sony discos, emi latin and wea latina. it was really ballsy for him to do that.

ed calle (arturo sandovol, etc.) tesified as well. i had a chance to play a few songs with ed. we sat in with a latin jazz group a couple of nights.

oscar didn't play; poor guy was tired - he had to rush to a video shoot with Jennifer Lopez :eek:

it was just great to hang with him. very, very cool. he's played with a lot of people.