Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oscar Nominations announced

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Jan 25, 2005.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
  2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
  3. I was surprised to see Kate Winslet nominated for her role in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
    +1

Funny you say that cause I was thinking that too when I saw that, then I come here to see someone take the words right out of my mouth...or my keyboard? whatever :p

EDIT: whoops messed up the quote lol

4. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    IMO Eternal Sunshine, Garden State, and Closer should've seen more noms.

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Did the committee just watch 5 films?

"Million Dollar Baby". I haven't seen it, but you can't convince me that Clint Eastwood did anything worthwhile. He's never held my interest as an "actor."

Napolean Dynamite deserved some mention. Very intelligent film. Good to see props for Hotel Rwanda, Eternal Sunshine, and Ray, although it looks like the Oscar committee just simply doesn't like Jim Carrey.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Even though he's nominated for actor I think he's getting more props as a "director." At least until now I've been mostly hearing about the movie itself rather than his acting. He's directed some decent movies but I think he's often overrated. I was not a fan of the direction and editing of Mystic River but it got a lot of accolades last year. I think his films tend to be a bit choppy and disjointed...i guess I feel like they just don't tend to have a good flow or rhythm.

I know what you mean about the 5 films though. This is so typical that they get fixated on a small number of films and nominate them through every category at the expense of others that may be worthy of recognition too.

brad cook

7. Nice to see Mike Leigh nominated. I haven´t seen "Vera Drake" yet, but Leigh has been one of my favorite directors ever since "Naked". "The Passion of the Christ" wasn´t nominated in any major categories (and deservedly so IMO). Fundamentalists will cry foul, no doubt...Jewish-leftist conspiracy, anyone? ;). Here´s complete list of nominees, BTW:

http://www.imdb.com/features/rto/2005/oscars

Foreign Film Oscar will probably be deciced between "Mar adentro" and "Der Untergang". I´m looking forward for seeing Hirschbiegels film next week.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I didn't think The Passion should have been a contender for best picture or director but I think the cinematography nomination is well-deserved. It was also nominated for makeup and original score I believe. As far as the people who are mad about that...maybe they'll be placated by the fact that Fahrenheit 9/11 wasn't nominated for anything since the media kind of set those up as warring entities. :smug:

brad cook

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I was just looking at the best original song nominees. Of all the great songs in Shrek 2...songs by Tom Waits, Nick Cave, The Eels...they go and nominate the one by Counting Crows?!

brad cook

10. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Actually, F 9/11 wasn't nominated because of something to do with dates. Because he pushed it to go to video so soon, it was disqualified. Something to that effect.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No I think that's just why it wasn't eligible to be nominated for Best Documentary. I read somewhere at some time that he had hopes for it to be nominated for Best Movie.

brad cook

12. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I'm upset that Paul Giamatti wasn't nominated, he's quickly becoming one of my favorite actors and I think he was great in 'Sideways'.

Also, I heard 'Finding Neverland' wasn't very good (like many movies where hip actors/actresses dress up in period pieces and frolic amid parklands), but I guess no one would watch it if Johnny Depp wasn't nominated.

13. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    i hope Finding Neverland wins for film, Johnny for actor and Jamie for supporting actor (I'm surprised to see him nominated for Collateral)

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Even more surprising that the main character of the movie was nominated as "supporting" actor.

:eyebrow:

brad cook

15. "The Passion" couldn't be nominated by the fact that it is not in English, meaning it was only eligible as a foreign film.

But then again, it wasn't nominated for that either.

Oh, and props to Alan Alda. I guess the Oscar committee likes to give people awards based on their years in film/television.

16. "La Vita è Bella" was nominated for best picture in 1999 and Roberto Benigni actually won the best leading actor Oscar. And "Wo hu cang long" ("Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon") was up for the best picture in 2001.

17. Yeah, he withheld it from consideration for Best Documentary so he could go for Best Picture, which was a stupid move. IMO, it never had a shot at even a nomination for Best Picture.