1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Oscar Pettiford

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by ole Jason, Oct 2, 2008.

1. I was aghast to see that Pettiford doesn't have a thread here!

One of my favorite classic bassists. Oscar was a master of really playing outside the box of what was expected of a bassist but still made it serve the song.

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  3. Indeed but he needed his own thread :)

4. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND

Nuno

5. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    :D:D:D:D:D

6. mattfong

mattfong

Jan 14, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm learning his tune Tricotism along with his transcribed bass solo in my lessons with Dave Young right now. Great tune, great solo!

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Right there on page two.

8. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    "Thelonious Monk Plays Duke Ellington" I love Oscar Pettiford's playing on this record!

I assume that Paul Chambers was younger than Pettiford? PC seems to be an extension of OP in many ways. Love them both!

9. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    +1 for Monk plays Duke Ellington. I think this was the first record I heard Pettiford on, then made my way back to the beginning. Great focused melodic playing.:)

10. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Oh I have taht one. Didn't know it was Pettiford. Awesome record. Another one that's available on eMusic.

11. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    My other favorites besides Monk plays Duke are The Unique Thelonious Monk and Freedom Suite (with Sonny Rollins and Max Roach).

12. dchan

dchan

Nov 19, 2005
    Bethlehem, PA
    One of my favorite all-time and Monk albums is "Brilliant Corners". Oscar's not that great as an accompanist on it, but his solo on "Ba-lue Bolivar Ba-lues-are" is nothing short of awesomeness.