Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oscar Stagnaro

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Wolf, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Wolf

Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Israel
    Anyone heard/of Oscar Stagnaro?
    This guy's fantastic. Incredible latin feel, pyrotechnics included!
    Kinda reminds me of Lincoln Goines. Very busy man!
    How he pulls THAT tone out of his Warwick is beyond me...

2. Chip Boaz

Chip Boaz

Apr 23, 2004
    Yea, Oscar is an incredible player, really transcends a lot of feels nicely. And as a Latin player, he is definitetly one of my favorites on electric. I love his work with Paquito D'Rivera. My current favorite recording with Paquito is Big Band Time. He is totally supportive through the whole thing, but there are a couple of stand out bass tracks. On "Basstronaut" he trades off solos with jazz upright player John Goldsby, that's pretty incredible to hear. Then on "Y La Negra Bailable" he, the bongo player, and Paquito on clarinet all play as a trio that gives Oscar lots of room to stretch out. Its a great recording. I like his solo album alot too. Yea, and I'm not sure how he gets his tone - it almost sounds like an upright at times. He's definitely one of the guys to check out today.

3. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Oscar is an amazing player. He is way up on my "get out and see this guy play" list.

Since this thread might attract a few Stagnaro fans, I have a favor/question. I was watching a cable station that was playing latin jazz videos and I saw this vid with paquito and Oscar and the bass break was *insane*. I think that the track was called "one-nil" or 0-1, or 1-0, or something like that. I only got a brief look at the info at the end of the vid.

If this rings a bell or if someone knows what it was that I might have seen, I'd appreciate any info on it.

Thanks

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    +1

yes he is!!

5. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    What would be a good album to check out, one with a full band not just a solo record?

6. I was just going over some transcriptions from his solo album the other day. As if playing Latin isn't hard enough, he does lots of 5/4 and 7/4 with notes tied over the bar lines. I'll be working on those for a while!

7. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I studied with Oscar for a while. Great guy. Great player.

I saw him recently on a local TV show here in LA doing a duet with Paquito D'Riviera. Good stuff for sure.....

8. Chip Boaz

Chip Boaz

Apr 23, 2004
    old skool, check out either "Big Band Time" or "Live at the Blue Note" by Paquito D' Rivera. There's some outstanding groove playing and solos by Oscar on both. His solo album, "Mariella's Dream" is also very good, and it does feature almost all full band recordings. Nice Latin Jazz originals and arrangements - some Wayne Shorter tunes, a Ravel piece, and a Stevie Wonder tune! All those albums are worth checking out!

9. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I saw Oscar in NY with Paquito and the guy smokes. His feel for Latin rhythms is unbelievalbel. He's a really nice guy too.

10. Wolf

Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Israel
  11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I know this thread is old, but it is worth a bump.

I'm listening - again - to Oscar's Mariella's Dream, and it is a mighty, mighty CD. Support this guy, buy the CD, and enjoy.

Incredible playing and awesome songs on the CD. This does Not sound like a bass wanker making a solo record. This is an Incredible CD.

Oscar's going to be in NYC for a week Dec 25 - Jan 1.
    Check him out if you can.