Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oscar Winning Song, 2003?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Here are the songs nominated for an Oscar this year. The Oscars will announced next weekend.

"I Move On" from "Chicago", Kander and Ebb

"Lose Yourself" from "8-Mile" by Eminem, Jeff Bass and Luis Resto

"Burn It Blue" from "Frida" by Goldenthal and Taynor

"The Hands That Built America" from "Gangs of New York" by Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen (U-2).

"Father and Daughter" from "The Wild Thornberries" by Paul Simon

My personal favorite is "Lose Yourself" even though I am not an Eminem fan. The song moves me. I did love the movie "Frida" and I enjoyed "Gangs of New York."

The song I believe will win, however, is U-2s "The Hands That Built America".

Which of these songs is your favorite and which do you think will really win?

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    The only one I know is the Paul Simon song. And I like it, so I guess that's my favourite :)

As for who will win, I really have no idea.

3. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I think that Eminem shoud win, just cause I like the song pretty much. I agree is a good song that most people can relate to in some way, musicians espically.

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

While I agree with you, I'm really not sure what members of the Academy look for in choosing an Oscar winning song. I suspect they would automatically reject Eminem because he is not what I'd call Hollywood mainstream. Still, I feel they would do well to reward work which is forward looking and not ultra-conservative. Doubt they will, though.