1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OSTINATO Figures

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by terryjj1, Aug 13, 2012.

1. terryjj1

terryjj1 Guest

Jul 19, 2012
    Hi Ed,

on page 12 of your Walking bassiscs you talk about the above with a repeat 3-5 note figure. I'm a little confused as to what the 3 and 5 notes actually are...I'm new and I understand the scale degree of chords but can't see where the 3-5 note figures into this technique....

thanks

Terry

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    That's not talking about scale degrees, that's talking about the number/quantity of pitches. As in "Three to five note figures" not "figures made up of the third degree of the scale and the fifth degree of the scale". As you see in the example, the first bar is only three pitches, Bb, octave Bb and Ab, right? Clearer?

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    And just since I haven't used this joke here, whadya call a 3 to 5 note repeated figure that keeps getting played no matter how bad it sounds over the changes?

An OBSTINATO, of course.

4. terryjj1

terryjj1 Guest

Jul 19, 2012
    ouch!

5. terryjj1

terryjj1 Guest

Jul 19, 2012
    test

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    yes, you exist in this dimension/reality vector as well...

7. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I overheard a sax player in a jump swing band I used to be in say to a sub trumpet player, " We play a lot of riffs, but they're not the same every time".

8. terryjj1

terryjj1 Guest

Jul 19, 2012

grim reality

9. terryjj1

terryjj1 Guest

Jul 19, 2012

Question Ed:

Do you teach private lessons still or is that a thing of the past? i have had issues finding one that can actually TEACH.....I'm setup to try someone in September..this does reflect their ability as musicians but their ability to get the point accross clearly and concisely to whatever level is paying for this service....like your book for example....the walking bassics..this is clear and can be understood which leaves me to think you can teach...maybe more teachers should wite books and send them to me for testing.....

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    I don't teach currently, mostly because I think that folks should just go to my teacher Joe Solomon. Go to the sifu, not one of the senior students...

11. terryjj1

terryjj1 Guest

Jul 19, 2012

He's not adverse to students with little experience?....

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Not at all, he's got some students who have just purchased an instrument, either DB or BG. He's not just a bass teacher, he teaches improvisational concept so he's had singers, horn players, pianists even drummers who have studied with him.
    If you haven't read the DOING IT THE SLOW WAY article, you should. The studio number is 212-741-2839.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Hi Ed - I remember talking to you in the dim and distant past about a Joe Lovano tune that had a neat ostinato bass figure that I played at Jazz Summerschool.

I just noticed that there is a great site with a load of transcriptions and analysis of Joe Lovano's work and it has this tune - search for "In the Land of Ephesus", here :

http://angaard.com/us/music-analyses/lovano_h-m_app.pdf

(EDIT - just noticed that is a part transcribed for Bb instruments - so would need transposing for bass! :p )

14. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Interesting site, Bruce. It's amazing what's out there if you know where to find it. I never listened too much to Joe Lovano; I will now.
    I'm kinda picky :)
    Thanks