1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OSX help - time machine / migration assistant

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kissmybASS01, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Hey fellow mac (ab)users!

Currently I'm running 10.6.8 and want to upgrade to 10.8.3. I've borrowed my wife's ext drive and backed up my whole drive (3 days using USB 2.0 :scowl: ). Now what's next?

I would like to wipe/re-format my (07 imac) HDD and thus do a clean install. I don't need to do anything fancy like do crazy partitions for bootcamp or what not. Just a clean install of the upgrade and then put my files back on.

I'm not quite understanding that Migration Assistant thing. Am I basically using the assistant to "transfer to another mac" which will be the same mac, but with a newer OS? :( Im so confused...

2. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    One problem with "transfer to another mac" is that any weird little bugs you have with applications will be transferred right back to the computer. It's more work, but if you clean install your applications you'll probably be better off. You'll have to reset all your preferences, etc but sometimes hidden files like that get corrupted and cause you a lot of grief.

3. Good to know. Most of the stuff I want to make sure I save are basics like my iPhoto pics, movies, music, etc.