1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OT: Foam surround repair kit

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fdeck, Sep 28, 2008.

1. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Has anybody done a foam surround repair kit? I have an old GK 250ML guitar amp that my brother-in-law gave to me with the parting words: "If you can fix it, then you can keep it." I repaired the electronics, then forgot about it.

Today I was showing it to my daughter, and we noticed that the surround was gone on one of the speakers. Anyway, I'd like to take a crack at fixing this, but am wondering if the repair kit is as easy to use as claimed.

2. I have done JBL 8" kits.

Slow and careful work requires about an hour per unit. I use the same tools for leatheretter covering on camera bodies. A blunt 'spade' tool is good for separating the old foam from the cone.

You will need a suitable solvent to remove the residue from both the cone and frame. Usually the cone comes pretty clean, but the frame does not. Q-Tips and solvent will work. Make sure you are well ventilated when using the solvent. Common acetone will probably be sufficient.

3. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Thanks for the tips! The repair appears to be a success.

It's for a worthy cause. My wife does folk dancing for a hobby, and wants a portable sound system of her own for occasions when the fiddler doesn't show up. The fidelity seems sufficient for fiddles and accordian. :D

4. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Or maybe not. The verdict: Not enough bass, and too heavy.

5. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Yup! Usually the case. I have yet to see a combo, that was of any good, that didn't weigh a ton and a half. Your little 112 cab, and a smallish, like an Eden WTX-260, is what she needs.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You need a keyboard amp. Those work great for that sort of thing.