Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OT: Warning For Windows XP Users.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mudbass, Sep 14, 2002.

1. Microsoft has released service pack 1 (SP1) for XP. DO NOT download and install it. It's buggy as hell. I just got off the Microsoft forums after having read page after page of complaints from XP users. There were more, but I stopped reading after 32 pages. The problems seem to be...well, you name it. Network interface cards quit working, video card problems, modems quit working, DVD's crapped out, system lockups, infinite system reboots, corrupted file systems, blue screen of death, Internet Explorer problems, Outlook Express problems...it's a mess. If you've already intsalled it and it works fine...congrats, but everybody else save yourselves a world of hurt and wait til they get the bugs out of it.

This has been a public service announcement brought to you by Mudbass.

2. 3rd Rock

3rd Rock Guest

Sep 19, 2001
    Toms River, NJ
    Actually I've already downloaded it, and installed it since it has been released. Not a single problem here, and I have all of the devices you mentioned.

It's actually a very important update.

Taken from Steve Gibson's GRC Site

"Attention Windows XP Users

A little-known but critical vulnerability exists in Windows XP.

It has recently been repaired in Service Pack 1.

This vulnerability allows the files contained in any specified directory on your system to be deleted if you click on a specially formed URL. This URL could appear anywhere: sent in malicious eMail, in a chat room, in a newsgroup posting, on a malicious web page, or even executed when your computer merely visits a malicious web page. It is likely to be widely exploited soon. "

So, I say go ahead and install it! Unless you want hackers to screw with your computer.

The sad part is Microsoft has known about this serious security hole for more than 11 weeks.

3. Why not post this in OffTopic?

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yep, this is off topic.

5. b.t.w. mudbass.. if you read the article on XP sp1 correctly, you will also have noticed that microsoft included a " security fix " ( yeah rite ) that ***ks up illegal copies of XP.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    That's the only problem I've heard of. I've got it running on 2 of the 5 XP boxes I'm responsable for. After another week of 'No Issues' and I'll run it across the rest of the machines.

7. 3rd Rock

3rd Rock Guest

Sep 19, 2001
    Toms River, NJ
    Ha, I forgot about that. There was supposed to be
    added anti-piracy protection in the service pack. Who knew it would freak out their systems. Serves them right! :p

I actually switched to Mac full time since 1996. However I do have an XP system for work related stuff.

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Does this include XP professional?

9. 3rd Rock

3rd Rock Guest

Sep 19, 2001
    Toms River, NJ
    Yes. That's what I'm runnning.

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hey, does XP Pro and XP home use the same service packs? (Like NT Workstation and NT server)

11. Yeah. but you don't want to run XP home.. :)

12. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    HELP. I already downloaded the pack, and now IE won't display certain images. I've tried changing the encoding, made sure my Java applet works, and I'm out of ideas. I tried to system restore back a week to before I installed the pack, but it wouldn't let me. AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! Bill Gates has me in his grasp!

P.S.- It is XP home on a P4 1.6Ghz w/512megs of ram and a GeForce2 MX video card. Any help greatly appreciated... I'm dying here!

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you should be able to uninstall it - go to add/remove programs and uninstall the service pack.

unless of course, you were brave and chose the "do not backup" option like i did. in that case, no idea what to do. maybe try downloading and installing it again?

i just installed it, it works fine for me.

14. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Hey "iplaybass"... I'll bet that you have Norton Firewall installed. Uninstall (or disable it first to see if this works) it, then try Internet Explorer. If this fixes the problem, reinstall Norton Firewall.

15. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Yeah I was told I had to get XP pro because I live on campus....

16. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I do, I did, and you were right. Thanks a lot, completely fixed the problem. Whooo!!!!! Back to my unfettered internet browsing!!!:D