1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Oteil - Allmans - Pbass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by RickC, Mar 27, 2009.

1. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Saw something interesting on the Moogis live streaming broadcast of the Allman Brothers from the Beacon Theater last night - Oteil on P-bass! It was pretty cool.

I was sitting in a room full of civilians (i.e., non-bass players) with whom I've been watching several of the broadcasts during the run. You'll typically hear one or two Oteil comments a night, maybe; last night, he was a constant source of discussion. Imo, he wasn't doing anything amazingly different than other nights - the difference was the huge, phat, Pbass tone that was pushing it's way through the mix and right into everyone's face.

It was a very nice looking '57 style - maple neck, two-tone burst, gold guard. It had some serious contour wear, so it was either a real one or perhaps a relic of some kind.

He also had another interesting bass for his solo section - a Sukop 6-string, also with a maple board, that looked like it was semi-hollow. I've never seen him with either of these basses before - maybe he did some bass shopping in NYC during the run.

I was playing a Precision with the Peacheaters several years ago, before I got my great '69 Jazz. After last night's show, I'm thinking about revisiting that space.

/rick

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Back when Oteil played around here in a bar band(mid '80s), he used a stock, early '80s(IIRC) blond Fender Jazz...and sounded damn great with it.
    I recall one night when I asked if he wanted to try my '64 P-bass...recently 'upgraded' with a Seymour Duncan Jazz/bridge pup. I remember when he first strapped it on...he solo'd the neck pup & said "Wow"!

3. TraceGroove77

TraceGroove77

Mar 8, 2009
    For me personally, what I love about Oteil is how genuine his playing is. He has all the marks of a true bass great (Chops, Technique, Feel, Groove), but his diversity is enhanced by the way his personality shines through while he performs. Whatever the situation, whether with the Allmans, with Aquarium Rescue Unit, or sitting in with any number of bands, Oteil adapts to any given situation, on any bass, and always with his personality shining through both onstage and through his playing.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    this post is perfect :)

5. TraceGroove77

TraceGroove77

Mar 8, 2009
    Thanks NJL :bassist: Oteil is one of a kind

6. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Was Oteil's Sukop a singlecut or double cut?

7. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Sorry for the late reply; it was a doube-cut.

/rick