Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oteil Burbridge, Abe Laboriel and Matt Garrison

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bumpcity, May 22, 2001.

1. bumpcity

bumpcity

May 12, 2001
    NYC
    Looking for some new inspiration, and I have heard a lot about these guys. Can anyone suggest tunes/albums to check out from them ? I picked up Oteil's bass day video, which is pretty impressive, and I have one ARU alubm, the one with "no ego underwater" on it, and I am looking for some more. Suggestions?

2. I can certainly recommend the following :

Matt Garrison :- Both of "The Heart Of Things" albums with John McLaughlin as well as his eponymous solo album.

Oteil Burbridge :- His solo "Love of a lifetime" album is great as well as his collaboration with Jerry Goodman.

Abe Laboriel : His excellent solo album "Guidum".

Have fun.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...some of the baddest Laboriel stuff I've heard is on the "brand new" 2-cd set Live At The Baked Potato 2000. The band is Greg Mathieson(keys), Mike Landau(guitar), Vinnie Colaiuta(drums), & Abe.
    Abe & Vinnie...it don't get much better than that! ;)
    BTW, I picked it up @ www.audiophileimports.com

I'd also recommend Gary Willis' Bent cd...
    Kai Eckhardt's new solo cd is also pretty good.

All of Oteil's playing with The Aquarium Rescue Unit is "there"; another release that features Oteil is the somewhat recent Frogwings' cd. His solo album is worth having(IMO).

Matt Garrison: IMO, The Heart Of Things' cds...Matt needs to be more upfront on those two particular recordings.

...and don't forget about Matt's dad, Jimmy, & all his work with John Coltrane(& Ornette Coleman & Elvin Jones)! ;)

4. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Abe did some really nice stuff with Ron Kenolly to, LIFT HIM UP and HIGH OLACES, both on integrity records.

5. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Aquarium Rescue Unit and Col. Bruce Hampton have a live album that is pretty good. You might have trouble finding it though. And the other album (I'm not sure if it's the one you have) is "In A Perfect World" (I think).

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I just ordered See The Sun by The Count M-Butu Orchestra with Oteil...there's a blurb about it in the new June Bass Player mag(in their cd review section); there's some listening samples at www.towerrecords.com(search by "the title" of the album).
    ...oh, yeah, a couple of other ex-members of The Aquarium Rescue Unit are on the this disc(Herring, Mundy).