Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oteil Burbridge and the Allman Bros. Band

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Mar 12, 2006.

1. What a great show in NYC last night in the Beacon Theater. Oteil is a great bass player. He laid the groove down last night. I was very impressed with the whole show. I highly reccomend this show to any one who digs really good Rock, Blues, Jazz and Jams.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and for those less fortunate(as in seeing the ABB live)-

There is a Live At The Beacon Theatre DVD from 2003.

3. Thats great. Did you see it?

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    that is a great DVD.. I think that is one of the first time's I saw OB with the new monarch 6'er.

such a killer player and band, glad that they tapped him on the shoulder to join ABB.

5. i saw them in 2004!!! what a great show!!! I also got the DVD but nothing that being in the Beacon with a cold beer watching the Allmans!!!

6. if you like Oteil you need to check out his band the Peacemakers. Go see them if you can! Oteil gets the spotlight and he knows what to do!:)

7. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    I saw the Allman Brothers Band twice in the summer of '05, and both performances were excellent. The first night Oteil did a great solo after a long drum break, and I was blown away.

8. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Let me catch up with this awesome band. Was Dickie Betts playing guitar?

9. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    PS - nice Precision!

10. No. Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks.

11. Thanks

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I was a big fan of both Oteil and the Allman Brothers before they hooked up, I have been very happy with the results ever since. For you Dickie Betts fans, check out his latest DVD with bassist Pedro Arevalo and his interpretation of some Allman classics.

13. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    +1

plus, look into some Great Southern, Dan Toler is amazing player and fits Dickie's style very good.

14. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I agree, Dan Toler fits with Dickie very nicely! I think the break between Dickie and the rest of the Allmans has been good for both parties! The new blood that they both play with has revitalized both careers with some added young firepower. IMHO:cool:

15. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Yeah in the mid 90's I remember Dickie having to miss a few gigs, due to domestic and band disputes... The funny thing is that the two shows I saw that one summer had Zakk Wilde playing for Dickie... Agreed, time away from the bros. wasn't a bad thing . :p

yes, very true! I love the Allmans now and Toler with GS is great... I just wish Jimmy Herring would be included in ABB... now that would be a killer lineup (aka Uber-Supergroup):

Gregg Allman
    Derek Trucks
    Oteil
    Jaimoe
    Butch
    Jimmy Herring
    Quinones
    Warren Haynes
    :bassist:

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    It's great watching Oteil with a pick on the old Jazz.

:)

17. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Yeah, It kinda took me by surprise when I saw it... but he got great tone from doing it.

18. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Herring and the late Shawn Lane are some of my favorite guitar players! He has sick chops and his solos are a thing of beauty. I make copies of the Frogwings album to "humble" my guitar playing buddies all the time.

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    He is playing a Jazz with a pick in homage to Berry Oakley.

20. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yup... tru dat!