1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Oteil Burbridge Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rakie, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Rakie

Rakie Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to...

Which bass does he use, i keep searching but I cant seem to find a pic and specs and the such.

Thanks.

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    For the last couple of years Otiel's main Bass has been a 6 string Fodera Emperor,before that he was using Modulus Basses and they eventually made him a 6 string semi hollow body sig model that he still uses today but it's mainly a backup now.

3. Rakie

Thanks a lot JAUQO, I was thinking of the Fodera, i keep seein picks of it but nothing good.

On an Unrelated note... I saw a video of you playing, and for some reason (In the technique forums !) I didnt think id see ya slappin much ;p

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Thanks and thanks for checking out the video,the irony is I'm not that much of a slapper but I learned some aspects of it so that I can be a little more versatile.

Here's a clip of Oteil using his Fodera.

just out of curiosity
    what gave you the idea that I might not be a slapper(and I'm not offended)?

5. Rakie

hehe, just seemed like you agreed with a lot of the people that said slapping is overly done, which I also agree with a lot, and im a heavy slapper myself.

Anyways, i liked the video. You have a really nice rich tone and the difference between the guy in the basement and the guy on stage isnt usually attributed to notes, bur rather tone in my experiance.

You do look rather bored while you slap though, or concentrating really hard !

Either way, it sounded great.

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Thanks again and I agree tone really plays a big part for me in the big picture of things and I wasen't bored at all just concentrating.

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Jauqo's right, it's a fodera, but it's a Monarch body style. Very cool bass.

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Yes a Monarch.I should know my Fodera models by now,from seeing a bunch of them and owning one.

9. Rakie

Oteil just has such a nice fat tone, lol. I remember seeing one of the BET Studio jams with him, Kofi and i believe Vernon Reid from 'Living Colour' and Future man on drums... Song was called "Butter Biscuit"

I think that was the mix, either way it was great.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It wasn't Futureman on drums on that episode (forgot the player's name though). Excellent episode- Oteil is just killin' it and Derek Trucks has some of the most expressive slide solos I've heard on that show.

11. Rakie

Musicians: Vernon Reid (guitar), Oteil Burbridge (bass), Derek Trucks (guitar), Yonrico Scott (drums), Jeff Coffin (saxophones), Kofi Burbridge (flute, piano)

There we go, well worth looking up for such a great show. Wish I could find it on youtube or something : (

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I think I have it copied on DVD, although I'm not positive. I know I have the episode that had most of the Yellowjackets on it.

13. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    when i saw him w/ the ABB this past august he used a red fender p 4 string almost exclusively, which surprised me a bit--I'd seen him mostly w/ a J in the past--epifani cabs too IIRC

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    The Bass that he uses the most with the ABB is a standard Fender J and he uses his Modulus for some solo spots.

15. With all of his different projects, he puts a lot of basses to good use. They've pretty much been mentioned already, but what I know of are his Fodera Monarch custom, his Modulus Quantum 6 Custom, a '60s Jazz Bass, and I think its a '70s P, I don't remember. He probobaly has a heard of them, but those are the main 4 I've seen him use out.

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Dear me I dug that! Maybe I have been too quick to judge Oteil...that was great!

17. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    one of my favorite bass players out there right now.

i caught the peacemakers a coupel years ago at a little jazz club near me...such a great show. his fodera is a beast of a bass. ive also seen hi with the ABB, he is great at just playign bass without feelign the nee to step out too foten, but when he does....my god, the man has chops. a sweet voice as well.

18. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    i saw another back up fodera standing behind on the guitarist side.....

19. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    The Fodera behind the guitarist is one of Anthony Wellingtons,Victor Wooten and his band performd after Oteil & The Peacemakers,I was at that show and it was a very nice show.

20. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    yeah IIRC, he often uses a 60's Fender J with Chrome flats. I think mostly with ABB.