Oteil Burbridge

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jzucker, Mar 9, 2005.

1. jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    What's the deal?!?

He plays one track on a victor wooten dvd I have. He's a 6 string bassist but he's a phenominal soloist. He has all the mccoy tyner and herbie stuff down. Technique better than most any guitarist i've ever heard. 4ths, pentatonics, chords, you name it. Just incredible stuff.

He has a website but it seems to be partially dysfunctional and I can't get any of the clips to play. Just wondering if anyone knows of a recording I can get...

2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    Allman Brothers Band...Aquarium Rescue Unit.

look into it :)
  3. BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Oteil and the Peacemakers is also a good start for some great playing by Oteil.
  4. jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Any cds of him blowing jazz stuff? The mccoy/herbie soloing he does is incredible. I'd love to hear him over something other than blues/rock...
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    He has a tune called "Plain Or Peanut" on ARU's A Different World...he's definitely blowin'!

I still say Funk is Oteil's forte followed by Elec. Jazz ala Holdsworth's IOU band.
  6. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    Get Oteil and the Peacemakers 'Family Secret' it also has a DVD showing the making of the album plus a lesson from Oteil.
  7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Allman Brothers - Hittin' the Note
    Allman Brothers Live at the Beacon Theatre DVD

On the Gov't Mule Rising Low DVD he has a nice solo. There are a bunch of other great bass players on it too.
  8. zcwilkes

zcwilkes Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Barboursville, WV
    I second the Peace Makers "Family Secret" CD/DVD. Awseome band all around. The Allman Brother's "Hittin the Note" is also good.
  9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    ahh... beat me to it.
  10. Hey, on COOL TV (Jazz channel here in Canada) I saw this concert from the early nineties or eighties i think. It had Oteil in it...he did hte singing during his solos, etc...first i saw of him...holds a groove real goodlike...his chording is def awesome too. didnt know the band though, nor where one can get it...he was playing one of those big ole white thick body basses that i see a lot of RnB session guys using.