Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oteil Burbridge

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bo Bradley, Dec 20, 2001.

1. How do you guys feel about Oteil Burbridge? His playing never ceases to amaze me.His sense of melody and harmonic depth in his solos is pretty much without peer in my opinion.Feel,tone,speed,
    Groove, hes got it all.
    happy holidays and peace

2. he's pretty awesome. I got an opportunity to see him up close (like I could touch him) and it was a great show. His tone & chops are too cool.

3. He's so much more impressive live than he is on CD (as if that isn't impressive enough ;) ). He is very melodic, he can play very harmonic "vertical" jazz solos, and let's not forget that he can groove very hard (which is very noticeable live). I would say that he's got to be my favorite player today.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    He's the George Benson of bass.

5. jblake

jblake

Aug 30, 2001
    Gray, ME
    I was lucky enough to roadie for a band that opened for the Allman's when he joined. The guy is a MONSTER. One night he was sitting backstage with his bass figuring out Little Martha with a guy for the band I worked for. That night he played it in his solo spot. Dickie Betts came on stage and just stared at him.
    It was fun to watch him play all the old ABB stuff on a Mexi Jazz strung with flatwounds and played with a pick.

6. numbskull

numbskull

Dec 26, 2001
    Boston, MA
    I love hearing him play with a pick! His groove is incredible...I didn't realize he was playing on flatwounds, tho. I wonder why?

7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    If you saw him at an ABB show, he was trying to be faithful to Berry Oakley's sound on the old material. I respect him a lot for that...he's honoring those that came before him, even though he's a bass god in his own rite.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    When I first met Oteil, he was playing an early-'80s blonde Fender Jazz(totally stock; later, he added EMGs)...what kinda Jazz is he playing with The ABB?

9. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Last ABB show I saw, he was playing a Modulus Vintage Jazz, but that was a couple of years ago.

10. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    oteil is my favorite bassist ever. i've been a fan since the aquarium rescue unit days. he's incredible.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    A Modulus?! Berry Oakley played a Modulus?! As if!
    ...wouldn't that be kinda hard to get "faithful to the Berry Oakley sound"? ;)

12. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    It would be if Berry had a Modulus endorsement ;)

Actually, to be absolutely true to Berry's sound, you'd have to get something modeled after "The Tractor"....a J bass with a Guild humbucker crammed in it. I got to play that bass once...it's basically a torture device.

13. OB is pretty freakin' ridiculous! Alexssandro's got a great point - his vocal harmonic comping is amazing! The guy is just sick all over.

BTW - Another cat to check out if you're into disturbingly good bassists is Matthew Garrison.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...& don't forget Matt's dad, Jimmy! ;)

15. Very true, Jim. Not as flashy as his boy, but if he's good enough for Trane, he's good enough for me!

16. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    any songs i should check out?

my curiosity kills me :)

17. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Most anything by Aquarium Rescue Unit would be a fine choice, especially "Mirrors Of Embarrassment". Pick any tune on that cd and you'll get a good taste. These might be hard to find, though, since the band broke up years ago and lots of their stuff is out of print.

He also had a solo album out for a while, called "Love Of A Lifetime". I believe you could only get that through his website.

This link might provide you with more info:
    http://www.angelfire.com/va/oteil/

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I really like Mirrors Of Embarrassment-
    ...I used to play with a group that OPENED with "No Egos Underwater".
    There's a tune called "Plain Or Peanut" from ARU's 3rd album(?) that totally wipes me out.

Oteil's solo disc is worth having, IMO.

He also plays some nice 'backing bass' with Greg Allman...I forget the album's title, sorry.

For really 'out there around Pluto' Oteil-
    Trey Anastacio's Surrender The Air project!

19. In A Perfect World. I lent that one out and never got it back, and now it's out of print. Great album. Oteil's bass line in the verses of "Stand Up People" is incredible. I was laughing in amazement the first time I heard it.

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Thanks, Dave for reminding me about the title(bummer that you 'lost' it; if I had a burner, I'd help ya out!).

I used to stand there & laugh & shake my head back when Oteil played in my best friend's bar band(The Squares). So, I used to ask my friend, "How can you play next to the guy & not just laugh out loud"?!
    Granted, it was only a Top-40 band, but, I guarantee you've never heard "This Is My Night"(Chaka Khan), "The Bird"(The Time), or Sussudio"(Phil Collins) played like THAT!(among others).
    ...and to top it off, Billy Drummond was the drummer in this band!
    Things have not been the same since those guys split!