Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oteil Burbridge?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by TravellinMan, May 2, 2003.

1. TravellinMan

TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    Oteil & The Peacemakers Cd from '03, I seen it on Cd universe, and was wondering if any of ya have this recording and what you think of it?

Take Care
    TravellinMan

2. I heard a sound clip a long time ago (well, like over a year ago) and it sounded very cool. This particular tune wasn't a "jazz" tune per se. It just had a really cool melody. I didn't hear the solo though cause I didn't hear the whole thing.

I would personally get just about anything Oteil plays on in a significant way. Does anyone know if this album is widely or easily available at the moment?

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have the first O&theP CD and it's really fabulous. I don't necesarily dig O's tone, but the music is really enjoyable and the playing is top notch. Worth taking a chance on.

4. if you get the chance to see the Peacemakers live, do it! Great show.

5. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I saw him live and have the newest Cd. It is awesome, I suggest that you check it out. If you like blues, jazz, with a little bit of rock mixed in you will love this cd.

6. his guitarist is every bit as good as he.

7. Ive downloaded a few Oteil and the Peacemakers songs and I must say, Oteil is the man. Butter Biscuit is funkalicious and so is Monk funk (I believe its called). I also downloaded this song from solive called "The world is a ghetto" with Oteil and Derek Trucks. Its about 16 minutes long but its a great, great song. They say its a cover but I dont know what song its covering, War's version of "the world is a ghetto" sounds nothing like it, so I dunno. Peace

8. It actually is the cover of the War song. If you listen to the "chorus" you'll know it's the same song. But of course, Soulive's version is just one non-stop jam with everyone taking long solos. Otei'ls solo on that is probably one of my favorite solos by him. Very modal.

9. Ohhhh now I hear the similarities. I didn't know Oteil took a solo in it other than his trademark scatting (I dont know what he calls it but thats how I know it). I cant hear it if he does, unless it sounds like a guitar.

10. From what I remember, the first solo is Derek Trucks. The second solo is the Hammond B-3 solo, but the recording I have is bad so I can hardly hear it. The solo after that is Oteil. Yeah, it does sound sort of like a guitar. He starts by playing chords and arpeggiated patterns on his 6-string which sounds more on the trebly side. THen in the middle of the solo, he really builds up momentum and starts the scatting. Basically, any time you hear Oteil scatting, it's also him playing underneath it.

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The new Peacemakers album is different from the first.....a lot more singing on the second album, but I dig it anyway! It also has less of Oteil's scat singing along with his solos....and thats fine with me:cool:

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jerry-
    ...where did you pick it up?

I still have some mid-'80s Oteil on cassette when he was gigging in-town. On a whole, the songs are in a Pop/R&B vibe.
    The 1st tune, a Rocker, is called...get this-
    "When The World Blows Up(We'll Be Jamming)"

;)

13. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Jim....I got it through my regular distributer, no problem...any record store in your town should be able to get it..........let me know if you can't get it!

14. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    p.s. it also comes with a free DVD with charts and stuff:cool:

15. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    p.s. p.s......LOL....like I can read charts:D

16. TravellinMan

TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    A frynd of mine just gave me a Aquarium Resque Unit; Mirrors of Embarssment, anybody know where I can get more ARU at?

17. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Most used C.D. stores have ARU laying around because most people wheren't hip to them. You can even try Amazon.com's used section. One of the best bands nobody ever heard of;)

18. TravellinMan

TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    Thanks Jerry, never though of amazon

Take Care
    TravellinMan