1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Oteil joins Zac Brown Band

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tleebassist11, Nov 7, 2013.

1. tleebassist11

tleebassist11 Taylor Lee Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2011
    NC
    Endorsing: Fodera, DR Strings
    Dont know if you guys caught the CMT awards last night but Oteil was holdin the bass role with the Zac Brown Band. He was playing a Red Fender P Bass and was really sounding great with tons of stage presence!! I found out from my drummer Jeff Sipe that he is playing on their new record. I personally am a fan of the Zac brown band so for them to add my favorite bassist of all-time to their roster is absolutely sick! Heres a vid from cmt; http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yHsJvXb-Ado -Taylor

2. VERY cool. Loved his work with the Tedechi/Trucks thing. Oteil and the P are a very, very good thing!

edit: Listening now... man, that band is not fooling around.

3. Cool song from a great band.
    Looks like the old bass player moved over to guitar. Wonder if that is a permanent change?

4. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
    Otiel Burbridge has got to be one of the coolest guys around! I still remember the picture of him riding home on his Triumph with his Grammy strapped on to the backseat...

5. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Thanks for sharing that, it's awesome and I've got a new band to check out.

6. Wow!

7. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    Those guys ain't no joke. Best band in modern country. :bassist:

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I noticed that. Didn't catch the old bass player on guitar though.

9. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    That was great and thanks for posting. I feel asleep before this part last night :( Now if they could only get Dave Grohl to join the band as well :) I love the looks on some the crowd "What just happened!?!" Modern country is certainly heading closer and closer to rock but that cut just took it to another level.

10. I generally don't care for country, but this song instantly caught my attention! Fantastic performance, can't wait to hear more from this grouping.

11. pbass62

pbass62

Sep 24, 2007
    Concord NC
    I saw ZB Band in Charlotte a couple of weeks ago, great show but I noticed also original bassist was on guitar. He did play upright on a couple of songs and Kala bass on the acoustic set. Oteil will be a great addition!

12. Even with Grohl.....Paisley blew them off the stage in 2 seconds...My opinion.

Sad....Couldn't distinguish Oteil from any other bass performance, last night.

KJUNG....Come to Fayetteville, Ga.. Zac Brown Band pretty much 'owns' it..even named our local ampitheater Southern Ground. He owns Southern Ground bar in nearby Senoia as well.

On the good side...Brown is developing a camp for disabled children in Fayetteville..probably named Southern Ground as well.

13. Man, Oteil sounded great on that clip to me. Of course, all the other bassists were first rate also. You don't get to that level without smoking. But yes, if you are saying that Oteil was not doing the chops monster thing, +1. He was playing for the tune. Love that guy.

It would be fun to come down sometime!

14. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    I saw Brand Paisley this summer and he put on a great show but these guys are playing a different brand of country for sure. As far as Oteil not bringing anything different; I don't believe that I heard any other bassists playing high speed unison runs with the guitar last night. Maybe I missed the others as I did fall asleep before it was over. Dang Pacific time zone!

15. OP- you play regularly with Sipe and have jammed with Herring and Bela? You performed at Warren's Christmas Jam??? I have much respect for you!!!!!!

16. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Country fusion?

17. Kjung...

Can't promise a meet-n-greet with Zac & Band.. saw them in a [mal-wart] store once..hear Zac vists our only tavern ocassionally.

I hear BAND Lives a little further west in Peachtree City..... but Glad to show you 'our little town'..wouldn't take an hour..then we'd head north to Atlanta..would take a few days for that one..LOL...First though, we'd detour...visit one of Zacs' luthiers in nearby Jonesboro..Also home of Collective Soul [Real-2- Reel studios]..where mebers of KANSAS FORMERLY LIVED..Vern Gosdins former home and home of Truett Cathey..[Chic-Fil-A family] as well...

Then In Atlanta ......A B G and on and on..

If ever serious..send me a PM. Our weather is generally 'good' ...generally humid.. Summer is VERY HOT and VERY humid. Prettiest Fall I have ever seen, this year....I've seen 60 of them..may not recall first few..LOL..

18. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Yesterday Oteil posted on Facebook to let everyone know he was going to be performing. I was going to watch, but the Avalanche game got pretty good (ironically against the Predators).

The hidden gem in the OP is that Jeff Sipe is your drummer. Must be cool playing with that cat...

19. tleebassist11

Dec 21, 2011
    NC
    At Wireking yep...and might be playing this years Christmas jam as well :) I agree with all you guys, great bassists last night. Really dug Tully. But when it comes down to it Oteils touch, tone, feel just works in any situation and is so original!

20. tleebassist11

Dec 21, 2011
    NC