Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stingray5, Aug 16, 2001.

1. I'm going to see Oteil for the first time this Tuesday - Allman Brothers concert. Has anyone seen this show? I'd like to know if I need to make any preparations in advance ie: depends undergarments, etc.

Thanks! :D
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Get good diapers so you don't sh!t your pants and tie a rope around your head to keep your jaw from dropping on the floor :D
  3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Chances are, you won't see him do that much jaw-drop stuff at the ABB gig. He usually gets one solo spot in there somewhere and he apparently makes quite a bit of effort to play the older ABB stuff like it was recorded.

I was pretty disappointed after having seen him with Aquarium Rescue Unit and Frogwings, but he's lots of fun to watch regardless.
  4. Chazinroch

Feb 2, 2003
    Ontario N.Y.
    Saw Oteil with the ABB last Saturday. Not alot of flash but was he ever good. Able to keep the original feel but added some very tasteful fills. Never used his thumb once. Only did 3 or 4 tunes with his 6 string Modulus. Most of the night he played an old jazz bass.
  5. I saw ABB play over the 4th. It was a great show, however I didn't go just to watch Oteil. I think he did a great job on bass as well did everyone else on their own instruments. Oteil didn't get much spotlight because Derek Trucks was playing with the band, he was amazing by the way. Anyway, back to the point. Enjoy the Allmans show! You'll love it.
  6. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Oh, go and make me jealous, why don't you...

:D ;)
  7. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    You should really like it. Oteil is as solid as they come. If you really want to see him go, check out his band The Peacemakers!! They're really tops.
  8. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
    I saw Oteil play with the Allman's last night and it was one of the best shows I've been to. He tore up the joint with a few solos and had one crazy solo spot where he used an ocatave pedal to get some sick sounds on his 6 string. Most of the show he did play a 4 string jazz bass with a pick, and he really became part of a ryhthm machine with the two drummers and percussionist. It was a real wall of sound, and with Derek and Warren who were both on fire, this was the best rock show I've ever seen. Can't wait to see them again!:)
  9. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i wonder what happened to his fodera?
  10. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing last night. I thought he would be playing his Fodera for his solo spot, but he stuck with the Modulus and the jazz bass.
  11. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    At the Beacon run in the spring he used it quite a bit... along with that Jazz.
  12. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    If you wanna see the insane stuff, go see him with his band The Peacemakers.
  13. I just saw Oteil at PNC Bank Arts center Wednesday night with the Allmans. Wow!!!

His playing with the band was great, his feel for the piece was incredible. He just played exactly what was right for the song. During one jam he took a solo on his jazz, I was floored. His chops and musicality knocked me out. If you ever thought this man needed 6 to solo you were dead wrong. He really layed it down.

Later on in the set he took another solo on his modulus 6. It started of chordal and became pretty much a frenzy of chops and jazzy phrasing.
    While he didn't scat, I still think it was one of most amazing things I've seen.
  14. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Would you take a Fodera on the road with the Allman Brothers Band? I would stick to a jazz and Modulus too.
  15. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i would take it, even if it was my only axe.

basses are made for playin'

16. catphish

Feb 25, 2003
    Modulus are pretty much wash N wear basses. I think that's why so many touring bassists use them. Besides, he still endorses Modulus.
  17. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    He might still endorse Mod, which are great for touring, for the fact that they can with stand heat, cold... being microwaved and such...

Here is Fodera's welcome page for him:

You need to see him with the Peacemaker!!

18. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    Then you'd better make Damn sure !to take it with when you might have to go take a p%ss during sound check because if you dont,there is a real good chance that it wont be on the stand when you return.