Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oteils' Fodera

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bernie Connors, Oct 29, 2005.

1. For those of you who have heard Oteils' Fodera, would you describe the tone as one that cuts through the mix or a tone that sits in the mix? I've been around TB enough to know that there will be widely varying opinions but I thought I would throw it out there to see what the general consensus is.

Thanks...

2. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    I just got the ABB Live at the Beacon DVD last week, and hearing his tone made me want to try and move some of my basses to get an extended range bass with a similar tone.

I love how it SITS in the ABB mix, he plays such wonderful, supporting lines.

3. That's a great DVD. One of my favorites.

You need to pick up Hittin' the Note if you haven't yet. It's very good as well.

Oteil can groove!

4. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    @jongor,

...I'm speechless...all I can say is your avatar is every mans nightmare...Holy Sleepy Hollow!... LMAO!!!

Kudos,
    ~S~

5. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    I got the DVD and the CD about a year ago.
    It's one of my favorite CD/DVD's!
    Oteil also uses a Fender 4 banger. But the Fodera 6er
    is the highlight for me. Two thumbs UP......... :hyper:

Dan

6. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Hi Benrie-

When I saw Oteil play with the peacemakers a few months ago, his tone was perfect. It both sat in the mix and cut through well perfectly well, when he dug in. That bass sounds amazing, and he just kills it. He was playing an el whappo that night, so I don't know how different his tone would be with his Ampeg rig, but I thought he sounded great. That Fodera is a pretty big tonal departure from his hollow modulus, with the fodera his tone sounds much warmer and rounder. I like it.:bassist:

I like his tone on the Peacemakers new CD, but I really prefer to listen to the recording I made that night with my minidisc recorder and a little sony stereo mic. The whole band sounded amazing. There were only 15 or so people that night, and they put on a hell of a show!!

7. Thanks, Jake!

I could only imagine that the Fodera through the Whappo was an amazing tone! Would love to see him in person sometime. Such an incredible player.

8. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    When I saw Oteil with the ABB over the summer, he was using a vintage Fender jazz and a hollow-body 6 string Modulus. The modulus didn't surprise me, but he only used it for one song and favored the Fender even for his solo spot. Another shock was that he used a pick for probably 70% of the show, only used his fingers on some slow numbers and his solo. I'm guessing to cut through all those guitar, drum, and organ sounds a little better- especially with the Fender.

9. I envy you!!! Even though I saw the ABB @ The Beacon in 2003!!!

10. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Here is a link to some of the pics I took that night. Sorry that they're kind of fuzzy. Doo Doo in your funk

low lighting + makers mark - tripod = pics like this.

They're still pretty cool though. I even like how some of the pics came out. Enjoy!

11. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Oteil told me the story behind his fodera.

Apparently, he had played one several years back at the Fodera shop that he just loved. It was "the bass". And ever since, he's played a bunch of them and none had the mojo that that one bass had. He finally went back to the shop one day and told Vinnie and Joey about that killer old bass, and how no other Fodera felt as good as that one. So they dug and dug around looking for it, or what was left of it, or whatever. Finally, they found it, I believe it was in pieces, but they were able to identify what specs he really liked and what wood combos worked for him. So I guess his Signature monarch was built based on the specs of that bass, and when he got his monarch, he said it was exactly like he remembered that bass. It was perfect. I have to say, after seeing his bass close up and hearing him play it through an amazing rig, It really has some magic to it. I was very impressed with that bass.

Needless to say, Oteil could play a chicken bone through a bullhorn and it would probably sound phenomenal!!!!

12. Cool Story and thanks for pics!

Which DVD with ABB is the best?

-Christian

13. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I've seen Oteil a ton of times. I saw the Peacemakers not too long ago and he played the Fodera most of the night but brought out the Modulus for a song or two toward the end. What a difference. With the Fodera, Oteil sounded like a man. With the Mod, he was but a boy with a thin tone as if he were going through puberty. I had never had a problem with his tone before with the Mod until I heard it directly after the Fodera. I think it's tone comes from the walnut body as it sounds almost identical to a walnut body Fodera I used to own, which also had a kingwood board like his.

14. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I might be trying a couple of Foderas in November. I hope I don't like them if you know what I mean.

15. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Hey Jake,
    You want to trade tapes? I have a recording of Oteil in LR a couple of years ago. Mic and board tapes. Interested? :hyper:

16. MattFoxx

MattFoxx Banned

Oct 24, 2005
    I saw Oteil with ARU about 10 years ago and comented on his six string playing , he said " here , check it out" and handed it to me. Talk about intimidation, I felt like a I had never played the instument before in my life ( in my best "rainman" voice) "definately a bass, definately a bass, 2 minutes to wopner". I felt like an idiot, but he was a really nice down to earth guy and I got to hang out with them for a hour or so. His past two "peacemakers" CDs are great.

17. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC

Absolutely,

I have the show on 2 discs, and I'll be glad to trade with you.
    pm on its way.

18. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    What are the specs on that guy?

19. MattFoxx

MattFoxx Banned

Oct 24, 2005
    I have a VHS of Aquarium Rescue Unit live from 94-95' time frame, it was filmed from the balcony in Talahassee, Fla. Want to trade copies?