Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Othello paper

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Dec 10, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Writing my Othello paper now, its due monday, i plan on re-writing it at least once tomorrow, and i was hoping the friendly folks at TB could help, mainly those who have read the play and remember it.

My thesis is that the entire play is Shakespeares way of saying that society's preconceptions about women and blacks are misguided and wrong (only its worded more eloquently in the paper). Anyone who could pop out any info or opinions on the play or my thesis or arguments either for or against my thesis (i need to counter the counter evidence) would be very helpful. :help:

2. I'm here to give constructive critisism, so don't take this the wrong way. That's a very dangerous thesis that's going to be hard to support. I'll focus on the misconceptions about blacks bit. IIRC when placed in context, that's not the point at all. The issue isn't that Othello's black, and that society has prejudices against blacks, Muslims etc. The issue is more of one of insiders and outsiders. These Europeans didn't really have many conceptions about blacks at all, so I'm not sure where you went with that.

3. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    What i love about literature is that its open to interpretation. i disagree, i find that there is a large racist presence throughout the play. Some examples include Brabantio enjoying Othello's company and then demanding he be jailed after Othello elopes with Desdemona. Since Brabantio is on the lookout for a hubby for his daughter, it is reasonable to believe that Othello would be perfect if he were white and european. Also, the duke intends to compliment Othello by calling him "far more fair then black" but this in itself is a racist remark, since it basically says that hes pretty noble and whatnot for a black person. Iago's entire mindset is completely racist, considering Othello to represent the devil (which was a common thought at the time) and referring to him as a beast and when he is hurt asking him if his head is ok (the devil had horns coming out of his head). While it is true that he is an outsider to the society, Desdemona is not and she is still treated as property. Brabantio seems to believe he has rights over her.

anyways, those are some examples of arguments im using, what do you think?

Thanks for the comments, keep them coming

4. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    update: I've finished the body, what i really need now is counter evidence to the thesis that Othello is shakespeares message that the misconceptions about race and gender are wrong. I had a bunch but i forgot it.