Other bands respect (or lack of).

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by butterblood, Mar 5, 2006.

1. My band plays alot around here (RI/MA) and lately I have been noticing a trend. Other bands leaving as soon as they are done playing. For some reason this drives me crazy. Because they are usually the same ones complaining about not getting people out to shows and no one supporting local bands. All the guys in my band always stick around for every other band even if we go on first. And we always try to talk to them after. Doesn't anyone believe in networking anymore?
    It's a good way to get more gigs in places you might not have played yet. I also see guys loading their gear in or out along the front of the stage when another band is playing. I have asked club owners why they let guys get away with that and they just shrug their shoulders. Its like they are going out of their way to be rude.
  2. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Should probably be in Band Management....oh well.

I'm with you on the networking thing, it's nice when bandmembers stick around to see what the other guys are playing and to talk with them after the show...it seems like everyone is so pre-occupied with themselves that they don't take the time (or just don't care) to get to know other people in the local music scene. That kinda sucks. :spit:
    As far as bands loading/unloading their gear...if the only place to put their gear is in front of the stage then whattya expect them to do? You should get on the venue/bar owner to clear out some tables for an appropriate "gear storage" spot somewhere off to the side. Just my two pesos

3. I think I said that wrong. I meant to say that regardless where the equipment goes pre show or where the load in/out door is that I see guys pushing amps and lugging cases right in front of the stage while other bands are performing. When they could of easily went around the back of the crowd.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My band always sticks around for the other bands. :)
  5. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Ahhh. I gotcha.

Yes, that is quite rude of them. :rollno: Maybe it's because they are anxious to be onstage and setting up virtually as the previous band starts to pack up...maybe they have a strict time for their set and are being pressured....regardless it is rude of them to push their gear through the crowd when another band is playing.

6. I will say flat-out that while I love meeting other band members, I'm shy, and usually rather busy, so during other sets I often leave and again, it's not out of disrespect to the other musicians, I just have my own stuff to manage.
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    We always left after our set, but we never opened for anyone so I don't know what it is like to play first.

8. I usually stick around, but I get up on weekdays at 5:30 so if it's a night before that, I'm out.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...Hey, it's a night out, so make the most of it & plan to stay there awhile. I've met some very interesting people before & after my sets...

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't stick around unless the other band is really good and I like their music. It's rude for them to play music I don't like, especially if they suck.
  11. But if they suck, you can always offer them tips that would help them improve.:bassist:
  12. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Amen to that. Weekends?....I'm all about networking. Weeknights?....heck no. Time to get outa there, get home and get to sleep.
  13. If a place is going to have multiple bands playing, I believe that it's incumbent upon the venue to provide amplification and a drum set. That way we can just unplug when done, and can enjoy the rest of the bands.

If a place is going to book 5 five bands, and expect them all to bring their own gear, then set it all up before the gig and tear it all down after, they better be planning on paying me a lot more than $50 for a 45 minute set...a LOT more, since it'll take up my WHOLE day.

On the other hand, if there's set up and tear down between each band, that's acutally a disservice to the crowd that has come to see the bands perform. No one I know wants to sit through that - they want to hear music, since that's what they came there for (as well as possibly drink and meet hot members of the opposite sex :p )
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes indeed. My experience is that sucky bands are always very receptive to that type of thing.
  15. +1 on that sarcasm!
    Hmmm... maybe FretlessFreak meant "tip$$$"..... My group's usually receptive to that! (but, of course, we don't suck!;) )
  16. Oh yeah... shouldn't this be in "Band Management and Performance"?...
  17. butterblood,

The Boston/MA/RI scene is known for being especially brutal. Some folks are really nice, others less so. It also depends if you are talking about locals or folks who are touring. Sometimes people have to tear down, load the van and hit the road to make tomorrows show or maybe they just drove all night to get into town and need to crash.

Yeah, I know you mentioned locals but even locals may have a show tomorrow in Buffalo, Maine or NYC.

18. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    LOL. I totally agree.
  19. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Amen to that, Brutha! Sometimes I have to miss out on bands that I dig because I have to get up so early. And sometimes the only way to get gear out of the clubs around here is directly in front of the stage! No disrespect intended, but Tuesday night at 12:30am is not the time I want to rock out. How about if club owners only put 2 or 3 bands on the roster for a weeknight and start them PROMPTLY at 9 pm. That way all the bands can by finished by midnight. Sounds like a novel idea! But, alas, there's always 6 bands on a wednesday starting at 10:30.:spit:
  20. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I have a day job and if I have an hour's drive home, I'm sorry I'm leaving unless I really want to catch the other band(s). It's not meant to be disrespectful.

Oh yeah, sometimes I even have another gig to go to :cool: