Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Other basses with that Pedulla fretless sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rodan, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Pedullas have such a sweet fretless sound. I was wondering if anybody has tried some more affordable fretless basses that would approximate that sound. It doesn't have to be totally like Pedulla, but something similar...

thoughts?

2. I guess this must have been a dumb question:confused: Nobody has bothered to answer. I'm looking for cheap mwah. Is it possible? Can you even get as close to smooth as Pedulla for a much lower price? Maybe not...

3. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I'd say the easiest, least expensive way to get close is throw Bart pickups and preamp in an already good sounding bass and have a luthier epoxy the fingerboard.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What bassmanjones said. The key to the sound of the Pedulla Buzz is the maple body, the Bartolini electronics and the poly coated board.

5. If you want an almost-Buzz but a little more Music Man-like sound, Matt Schmill has a fretless for sale on his website that has a spalted(!) maple body (he swears it's stable), a Bart M34 pickup in MM position and an NTBT, ABM/Shadow piezos for some extra versatility, and an epoxy-coated ebony board. You might want to go to Northampton and play it.

6. How do you apply epoxy to a fingerboard?
    What about a phenolic fingerboard - would this provide a similar sound? I'm thinking about the Kingston 5 fretless basses, which have a phenolic board. Maybe I could just get a used fretless jazz and upgrade pickups and epoxy the board.