1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Other basses with the Geddy Lee neck profile.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Reccord, Mar 26, 2013.

1. So, other than the GL sig and the genuine article early 70s jazz basses are there any other Jazz basses (Fender or non-Fender) that share that thin "C" shaped neck?

When I was young and stupid, I played an early 70s Jazz (sunburst, bound and blocked) and I fell in love with the neck. I hesitated on buying it and it got snagged by someone else. I've been trying to find another one with that neck profile ever since and the GL is the only one that I've encountered so far. Are there any others out there?

I may very well buy a GL and sand that awful gloss finish to satin but I was just wondering if there were other options out there with that neck feel.

2. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78!

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    I personally like the neck on the Geddy,minus the high gloss.
    Now I have not played one but I have heard the Fender (MIM) 70's Jazz reissue uses the exact profile as the Geddy Lee signature. Again I have NOT played one but you may want to check one out if there is one at a local shop.
    This might be a direction to go in...

3. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    I had seen all the raving over the Geddy Lee and was completely unimpressed.. the penguin suit and block inlays just didnt do it for me, and i thought the bass was way over-priced.

But then i played one for the first time last week at GC and while I can see the high gloss getting in the way (its a preference thing)...wow is that a fast neck... so at least i can see why folks rant on about this bass.

Fender would be real smart to offer this heck profile in regular (aka satin finished rosewood fretboard) type version... i would be on it like a heartbeat.

I just cant think of buying a new bass and sanding it though...............

4. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78!

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    Agreed Mystic...I picked a bass off a rack at SamAsh, Vegas one day and just fell in love with the feel. Did not even know it was a GL sig at the time. Bought it on the spot.
    And yes I would love to see that profile with rosewood!

5. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Elkhart, IN
    My G&L Tribute JB-2 has a thinner neck (front to back) than my Squier VM Jazz. To me it is considerably easier to play than the Squier. I would compare it to a GL neck, based on my limited experience playing the GL at GC.

6. kramerj

kramerj Supporting Member

May 22, 2003
    Iowa City, IA
    The American Musicman 4-string Sterlings have thin, fast necks with a satin finish. Don't know how similar they are to GL's, however.

7. GG7

GG7

Mar 14, 2013
    I had a 76 Jazz back in the day and my American Deluxe seems to have the same neck profile along with the clear coat on the maple neck and fretboard. This is how the 70s J Bass in that configuration came from the factory back then.

8. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Jun 28, 2010
    Detroit
    While I don't have any recommendations, I have experience with the MIM Classic 70s Jazz. The profile is much different than a GL. It's actually chunkier than a typical jazz. I loved it, but it doesn't sound like what the OP is looking for.

9. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    The American Special Jazz is very close to the GL. Probably the closest in thinness in the Fender line.

If you can stand a 1.6" nut width, the Lakland Skyline 4401 and 4402 basses are VERY thin as well.

Good luck!

10. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

Jan 27, 2013
    Ive got a 70s classic j bass nice neck, but not as thin as a veddy!

11. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    Warmoth offers an option that may be similar.

12. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    Just my .02-- but i have 2008 GL (MIJ). this was the last year before they moved to Fender-logo tuners and a slightly thicker (but more stable neck). The neck on my 08 is the thinnest neck i have ever felt on a bass, but the truss rod needs more adjustment (relatively) than any other bass i own.

Also while I know that many don't care for the gloss neck- i find mine to be more "glassy" than "glossy", and rarely do my hands stick to it. It's all subjective of course- if you're in conditions that are particularly humid or if your hands are sweating a lot, the gloss may get in the way. In drier conditions with drier hands, the gloss may be a benefit. I usually gigged my non-gloss stingrays in clubs and hot sweaty shows. the GL usually gets played in the cool air-conditioned sanctuary of my church gig- my hands are cool and dry and the gloss neck is a slippery as ice. ymmv

13. Thanks for all the comments! Jeez, the basses forum moves fast. This thread was already on page 5!

I love the maple but I've always had a bit of an aversion to "signature" instruments. The neck on the GL is really nice and I totally agree that Fender should offer it on other basses. I'd have no qualms about sanding it to a satin finish, or rather get my luthier best friend to do it for me! :D

Indeed.

Hadn't thought about the JB-2. The body style isn't quite what I'm looking for but on the other hand G&Ls are really nice and if the neck profile is right, it could be a winner. Just looked at G&L's site and they have a USA JB variant that has the traditional Jazz body shape. This is news to me. Gotta check that out!

I already have a Sterling 5, which I dearly love and eventually I want to get a 4. The neck isn't quite as thin front to back as the GL but it's very nice all the same. Right now, I have the jones for a passive Jazz-type bass so a 4 string Sterling will have to wait.

I'm looking at that as well.

14. I don't sweat a whole lot but I do find the GL to be a bit sticky as compared to my Sterling. It's not a deal breaker and actually quite easy to sand to a satin finish if desired.

Thanks!

15. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Supposedly, the original MIJ Jaguar Bass is the closest to a GL profile.

Find one and try it.

16. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i heard that too about the jaguar, but it didn't really seem that different from my mij jb62 jazz

17. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1364400230.198803.

A few of these snuck in to the USA in 2011. MIJ Fender Classic Series '70s jazz, next to its MIJ Precision twin. This jazz was from a short trial run of 26 sunburst and 26 black ones. Made in the same factory as the GL (Chushin). Then the tsunami happened.

Wonder if it's the same neck as the Geddy? Really nice bass IMHO.