Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Other brand pups w. EMG-BQC?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FretNoMore, Sep 27, 2002.

1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I have a Modulus Q5 with EMG 40DC pickups and the 18V BQC electronics (4 pots - Volume, Bass, Treble, Stacked sweep mid).

Does anyone know if it is possible to put in other pickups (like the Bartolini M4) but keep the electronics? Good idea - bad idea?

2. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    When I was discussing a custom bass with a brittish luthier, he told me that EMG-preamps work well with bartolini pickups (don't remember if it would work with both the passive and the active ones). In my experience EMG-preamps are nice, no colouration when set flat.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got Bartolini pickups in my US Curbow Int'l Petite 5 string. I had Greg put in the 18V EMG system with it, and I absolutely love it. Very clear, and with everything set flat, it sings.

With the trim controls on the EMG, you can set the input gain to match it to the pickups, so it's pretty easy to get it set so it sounds great.

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Thanks guys, I'll check what pickups to get then... :)