1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

other delays with filter like EHX SMMH?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by T-bolt, Sep 10, 2008.

1. T-bolt

T-bolt

Mar 29, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    I just got an EHX Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai, and while I find the filter, tap tempo, & programabilty useful I'm getting a case of buyers remorse. There's lots of weird trippy effects available, but it doesn't feel all that organic to me for some reason. I'm also pretty disappointed with the fact I can't do "UFO" sound effects by turning the delay time knobk, since it just cancels any delays going. I also wish there were delay subdivision options.

Ultimately though, I think that the ability to introduce a high-pass filter to the repeats to reduce muddiness on bass is most important. I might just keep the SMMH, but are there any other delay pedals with this option that I should consider?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Sounds like you want an analog delay.

3. I also wish my SMMH would go all UFO w/speed tweakage. The DL-4 does this IIRC, & has some nice filtered delays. I essentially replaced my DL-4 w/the SMMH but I may waffle on it. And yes, of course a good analog delay will definitely do the best(IMO)spacey stuff.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

[​IMG]

5. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Looks great but I don't see a filter on it!

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

There is none but it does everything the former poster wants to achieve.

7. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    All except for his main point.

8. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I think the confusion there came about because so many modern delays include a low-pass filter to cause muddiness as in imitation of an analog delay. Sort of dyslexic reading then. :)

9. The Tech 21 Boost D.L.A. has a tone(a flter, yes?)& flutter(modulation)knob. I will now search & see if there's any info here on these guys...

10. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, I also love that filter feature on the SMMH. To me, it sounds more like tape delay when you turn the filter knob clockwise, so maybe take a listen to some tape-delay emulators and see if those float your boat. Headrush, Echo Park, RE-20, Digitech DL-8. . .

11. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    It's not a pedal... but the Korg Kaoss Pad will do it.

12. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    ...with a tone knob AND modulation.

I can't think of any analog delay with a tone knob... unless it's some boutique monstrosity I haven't seen yet. :D

On second thought... the Tech 21 Boost D.L.A. may really be what you're looking for. I'm under the impression that it's fully analog and will behave like an analog delay when tweaked.

Honestly though, if he's concerned about mud, I think he needs to carefully consider his analog options. Many of them will not have the sound he wants if he's concerned with clarity.

True. :D

The SMMH's Filter knob is really a finely programmed Tone knob. It'd be a mistake to call it just a high-pass filter, since it can also do low-pass. The tone is untouched at 12:00, but rolls off treble when turned CCW and rolls off bass when turned CW. This is different than the usual EHX tone knob (i.e., the "mid-scooping" one on the Big Muff).

13. T-bolt

T-bolt

Mar 29, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    Ideally yes, though as stated the natural effect of analog darkens the tone. Analog isn't necessary though to have fun with the delay time knob, I used to have an old Ibanez DDL10 that could it fine.

I'll look into that, though its probably a low-pass filter....

There's the WAY too expensive Diamond Memory Lane that's basically my guitarist's dream pedal. Its got an knob that acts as a "tilt" EQ, whatever that means. I dunno if I want to drop $600+ on it though. :eek:

14. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
  15. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    [​IMG]

...But the tone knob there is just a passive treble rolloff like on a passive bass.

16. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    A tilting EQ is one where when you turn the knob to left, it boosts lows and cuts highs, and turn the knob right, it cuts lows and boosts highs.

17. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    My RE-301 Space Echo will do the high pass thing though I think that is more a function of old tape/dirty heads than design. My Pigtronix Echolution has a nice adjustable low pass that I like. I still like the Lexicon Super Prime Time the best though.

18. Is that what the LBM has?

19. No one has mentioned the Damage Control TimeLine yet, it has everything you are looking for.

20. T-bolt

T-bolt

Mar 29, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    Unless I'm reading the user manuals online wrong, the TimeLine & TC Nova Delay only have a filter that goes from bright/clear (digital) to warm/dark (analog/tape sim). I'm looking for a filter that can take out the lows on repeats, not just the highs.

The Empress SuperDelay is cool but it looks like the filter control is just a switch rather than a knob that you can dial in a sound with.

I'm going to try out the Eventide Timefactor tomorrow. Its quite expensive as well but has so many features including a high/low/bandpass delay that's very tweakable. Its got MIDI as well, which is good since I also play keys/synth. My other idea is to keep the SMMH and get an MXR Carbon Copy as a second pedal.