Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Other Effects to compliment EBS IQ

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JRB, Dec 13, 2004.

1. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    He Everyone,
    I have an EBS IQ and an EBS Octave. I also have a TC electronics two-D, delay in my rack. I love the funk envelope, auto wah effects and I was wondering if there were any out there that would compliment my IQ and Octave and give me a different sound in the same ganre. Thanks alot for any input anyone has.

Peace
    J

2. Adding a good fuzz or overdrive would really kick that fownk up a notch. It really changes the character of an envelope filter.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, adding the fuzz rules

4. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Yes, a fuzz. The Electro-Harmonix Big Muff sounds awesome, give it a try.

Peace,
    Graeme

5. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    thanks alot everyone.

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    z. vex wooly mammoth. greatest fuzz ever.

7. anastasio24

anastasio24

May 24, 2003
    Maryland
    I have yet to find a really good fuzz to use with my envelope filter. I have an active bass so the wooly mammoth is out :(

What do you guys recommend with an active?

8. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i use active basses with my mammoth. i do hear a difference between passive and active when using them with the mammoth. however, as long as you dont dime your controls and what not youve got nothign to worry about. that and i dont think you sound should be limited just because of active passive and what not.

i will say this though, the mammoth is NOT FOR EVERYONE. its a very sensitive littel box. the thing is so huge that the tiniest adjustment makes for sound change.

9. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    Hi,
    I use a EBS Octabass with a Q-tron. I want to get the Bass IQ as well. I've tried a RAT for the fuzz...and that is pretty good, but I've settled on a SansAmp classic for my distortion. It's much more controllable and focused then the RAT. I can get in Bootsy territory with this setup.

and all my basses are active.

10. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I also have/use both pedals... try placing a compressor pedal before the octave + filter, and a chorus after them... nice palette of sounds.

Edit: you can prolly get a nice chorus outta that TC rack unit. But I do notice that the compressor placed first helps the sound of both the Octave and BassIQ

11. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

what kind of compressor?

12. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    No one kind is better, you just needta try a few out... I use a BiComp, which is $$$, but you may like ones like the MultiComp, Compulator, or other pedal compressors (many threads discuss there guys here...).