1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Other exotic envelope filters

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by syciprider, Feb 21, 2008.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    We know of the Lovetones, the Mutrons, Moogs and what not.

Who's rocking or who knows anything about the off beat ones like:

Mod Max (they write strange product descriptions)

Robo Talk 2 for bass

MG Bukowski

HAZ Mutron (do they actually make these things? They're always out of stock)

etc

etc

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have "almost" bought a ModMax I don't know how many times... Each time the weird ad copy would turn me off just enough that I wouldn't shell out. Finally I wrote SE an email saying so, that I was an effects-buying fiend and a very interested potential customer, but that their crazy ad copy (and the totally non-illustrative sound samples on their website) made me put my wallet away, and that maybe they should try a different approach with marketing. They wrote back a long, psychotic email telling me I was a coward and a loser and a jerk and generally raving in the same over-the-top manner as the text on their site.

I know this doesn't help with the question of "who's using one of these exotic filters", but I know who isn't using that one anyway. ;)

3. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    What a bonkers story! This somehow makes me want one of these more. :confused:

What about some of the crazy rack filters? I'm using a MAM Warp 9, and I know Bongo has at least one MAM filter. Someone used to have a Peavey Spectrum right? I've also been keeping my eye out for a Waldorf MiniWorks at a decent price. No one probably cares about these things other than me, but I'm just throwing them out there since they are fairly exotic.

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Given their counter culture, fight the power, revolution now writing style and the sound samples I think their target market is the pot smoking hippy raver....:eyebrow: :meh:Good luck with that!

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire

Do it! :smug:

I wish GC had em. Makes for risk free trials :)hiding: from JPB)

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Oh yeah, I loves me some MAM filters. They have the issue of no bypass footswitch option, as we discussed before, and I'm still puzzling out the best way to solve that. but otherwise they're super awesome in both sound and versatility. (They're rack units, before anybody suggests just putting them in a loop pedal.)

There's also the Akai MPC42, which is cool sounding but not as small or as useful IMO as the MAMs... I know a couple of TB'ers besides me have used them.

I had a MiniWorks 4-pole for a while and it sounded excellent; but the form factor, lack of a bypass footswitch, and the programming UI all turned me off. I probably should have kept it though. I should specify it sounded excellent for synth-type filter sounds, not for funk. Same for the Akai. The MAM RS3 can get uber funky though!

7. Wow. My experiences with Studio Electronics have all been very positive. I have a huge amount of respect for the quality of work they do. That's terrible to hear. The ModMax filter doesn't work with bass very well if it makes you feel any better. I love my Chaos distortion from them and I used to love my Se1-x synth before it got sold to finance my amp. On another note, as far as exotic filters go JoMox in Germany makes an interestring one called the M-Resonator. Doesn't look like the most straight forward, but it has some interesting modulation capabilities.

8. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I have a Robotalk 2 Bass. At the moment it is discontinued, but Xotic has been promising a revamped version sometime this year which they've told me will be more "user friendly".

It's a great filter, but if that was all it did, I might have returned it in lieu of my EP-1 and my DOD FX25. It isn't as wet as either of those two, but has a more "aggressive" sound.

But I really dig the random arpeggiator (aka sample & hold) function. I haven't played one to know for sure, but I always imagined it was a clone of the old Oberheim/Maestro pedal.

9. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Oh, and for a while I had a Funk-A-Duck.

It has an incredible array of tones from more traditional envelope filter sounds to really synthy sounds. But it's also really touchy as little adjustments change the character completely and it can generate HUGE volume spikes. I didn't think it was usable in a live situation so I sold it to a friend who does more DJ/electronica type stuff.

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Aside from the normal stuff, like Ehx's Qtrons, Bassballs, and of course my favorite, EP-1, I picked up a Menatone Mailbomb. This is the most synthy filter I've ever had, and it's the size of a Sonic Stomp, or Ehx XO series. Nice. 3 controls, Attack, Filter, and Depth. With the Depth control nearly maxed, it has a sweet little trail off sound, hard to describe, easy to love. Just throwing it out there, you junkies.

11. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    I built-up one of the relay-based remote switches like SEV suggested. It was easy and cheap. I liked it so much, actually, I decided to rack all my pedals and make a multi-switcher. It's nice to have tons of effects, and then just one 12x3 pedal on stage, since we play mostly on really small stages (or floors).

Anyway, the Warp9 is also really synthy and not funky. It doesn't even have a true envelope mode, it just triggers a programmable ADSR envelope off of the input or a separate trigger-in.

I'm still in the hunt for a MiniWorks, though, since the form factor and UI don't bother me. I love the MAM so much, but I kind of want to replace it, just because I want it in my noise-rig.

12. The Subdecay Promtheus looks pretty exotic at the moment. Don't know what it's like yet but judging by the gurgle and moan clips it should sound pretty cool.

13. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Anyone have clips of the bukowsky filter? The ones on the MG website are all distorted when I play them. I want to hear a clean tone.

14. four2oh

four2oh

Mar 29, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    +1 on the Frostwave Funk-A-Duck (and yes yes one of these days i'll post some clips)

15. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick, Mesa Boogie, Joyo, Dr. J, Levy's Leathers
    The sound clips I've heard of the Electrix Filter Queen were pretty sweet. Never used one personally though. :(

16. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    It's good and squelchy, but a bit noisy.

17. hoerni

hoerni

Jun 4, 2007
    NJ
    Not an exotic manufacturer, but I use a rare old Korg module on occasion.

It's the Dist Wah module from Korg's PME 40X series. Pretty cool little pedal, and really sweet when combined with the Octave pedal. That combo almost beats out the EHX Bass Micro Synth.

18. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Wow. Freakin' amazing, in a good/bad way.
    Agreed, I'm almost more intrigued now.
    SOLD! :smug:

Actually after only a few days with my Maxon I'm incredibly happy with it. I ran my Psilocybe through it for about 3 hours last night, those two pedals are like JoJos/milk, beer/cashews, man/wife, etc. I think my next, if any, filter will be the Barge Concepts Meatball copy, and then that Bukowski one just because of the name. We'll see.

I'm obviously a big help to the topic at hand. :ninja:

19. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    No almost about it.

20. hoerni

hoerni

Jun 4, 2007
    NJ
    True, the sounds are superior, but I miss the attack decay.

Paired with Slow Gear or equivalent it would probably completely blow the EHX BMS away. So many octave / distortion options and combinations.