1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Other fuzzes similar to these (Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz & Magnetar) ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Sorry for the multiple threads... I'm just starting to make sense of all this.

I've found I like the fuzz tones of the:

Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz:

(replaced discontinued Devi Ever Bass Fuzz / Supermassive Black Hole)

Before I pull the trigger on one of these spendy pedals - I'm wondering what else out there is similar?

2. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Check out the Audio Monk Fuzz Potion man. You may dig it.

3. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    The Black Cat bass octave fuzz is based on the Maestro Brassmaster. There are a few other contemporary versions of this circuit, including the Malekko Brassmaster, Prescription Electronics Depth Charge and (if I'm notmistaken) one side of the Iron Ether Oxide. I haven't used that last one, but I preferred the Black Cat to the first two.

4. The Magnetar is Awesome! Nothing sounds like it because it is an original circuit.

5. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    an original circuit derived from the Devi Ever Bass Fuzz? Nothing sounds like it but... all those Devi Ever pedals?

6. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    All those, and the Montgomery Appliances Fuzz Mountain too.

7. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Devi Ever Bass Fuzz/Supermassive Black Hole was designed by the Mountain King guy (Alan?). I gather he took the design back and refined is some to produce the Magntar

8. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    and the fuzz potion is awesome, but doesn't really sound like either of those. ;)

9. How does the Frantone Basssweet compare?
    (At work, can't listen to youtube clips :()

10. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    it sounds awesome, but also has nothing to do with the Brassmaster family.

11. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Agreed. It's dark and bass-y perhaps slightly reminiscent of a muff (but not quite so mid scooped)

12. Mcspunckle Gnomeratron VTF can do octave up snotty fuzz sounds and buttload of other sounds.

13. edisonsexybeast

edisonsexybeast

Aug 14, 2012
    Havent heard those fuzzes before.. but check out Basic Audio Fuzzes.. probably the best fuzzes for 150 out there..

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    He didn't ask for "your favorite fuzz for 150". He asked "what is similar to these two specific pedals".

15. Gotcha - and I know I've brought this up a million times too - but how do you think these pedals will do to get an "approx" Radiohead tone?

I've heard clips of the Shin-ei Companion and think its a bit too thin... I like its overall "bit" character, but wish it had more control to dial in more bottom and be more well rounded.

Thats what I'm going for essentionally. I want the Shin-ei tone - but with flexibility and not a one-trick-pony pedal.

The ones I mentioned - to me at least - seem to have a similar "rasp" of the classic Radiohead tones...