1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Other good alternatives to Fender you may be open to

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Neveragain55, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Neveragain55

Neveragain55

Mar 19, 2014
    Connecticut
    After reading through several threads in here regarding what other basses would be a good alternative to either "heavy" or "expensive" Fender basses in the Fender line up, I got the idea to ask all of you who love that "Fender sound".....what other brand would you be open to?

There are dozens of bass guitar manufacturers that make basically a Fender P or J bass clone which is a huge compliment to Fender basses.

I have no doubt many of you will reply with "why buy a fake when you can get the real thing"

That's sort of the point of the post & the question, many of you (including me) don't have "Fender money" or many of you are looking for a bass that will mimic that Fender "P" or "J" in a "lighter" version.

I found a really cool video on ESP's Vintage B-204 series bass which (to me) looks nice but to be fair I'm partial to all things ESP. They also make what is basically a clone of the jazz bass as many other bass manufacturers do.

Here's a link to the Vintage B-214:
    VINTAGE-214 ASH ROSEWOOD NAT - The ESP Guitar Company

Take a look at one in action:

I also found some information on the Ibanez Talman 100 & 300 basses but unfortunately no video.
    Electric Basses Talman Bass - TMB100 | Ibanez guitars

To my ears, most of these other manufacturers have nailed or come very close to the sound the Fender camp loves, so how about it.

Honestly, would any of you give any of these basses a shot as an alternative to strictly buying a Fender, and if so which one? (you can absolutely choose from any bass manufacturer other than ESP or Ibanez)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    .BumeStik. and pacojas like this.
  2. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    G&L Tribute series are worth a serious look. Sire gets a lot of love at the moment. I would also recommend Yamaha's BB series as a viable option to Fender. Some are light, others not so much and most are affordable.

Neveragain55 likes this.
  3. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    I've had a J-bass for a number of years now and it has stayed with me while several others have come and gone. This one has a Warmoth neck that I ordered new from the company (NICE to have my choice of fret wire) and it's bolted onto an attractive Jazz body (by ESP actually). Love this thing. I can't say that it's "just a parts bass" because it's delivered more for me than any... ahem... real Fender I've ever owned, including a couple of their US made Deluxe models. DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups complete the package here.

Warmoth - there's my vote.

DavC and Neveragain55 like this.
  4. Lakland skylines? Particularly DJs

5. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I have no Fender basses, I do have 2 Squiers, though. My main players are SX.

IMGP3938a.

IMGP2723a.

6. Neveragain55

Neveragain55

Mar 19, 2014
    Connecticut
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Are you sure you have enough????:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Nice, very nice........:thumbsup:

Ianhin likes this.
  7. Neveragain55

Neveragain55

Mar 19, 2014
    Connecticut
    Great basses......

sikamikanico and brendanbassix like this.
  8. Neveragain55

Neveragain55

Mar 19, 2014
    Connecticut
    Super cool, and I'm glad it works for everything you need it to work for....

9. Neveragain55

Neveragain55

Mar 19, 2014
    Connecticut
    I had a Yamaha years ago and it was great bass, I've also seen a lot of love in here for G&L....

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I am a Fender Precision (5) fanboy. I do like my Big Al 5 s-s-s very much. It is a very different animal and I think rather than having another bass that's Fender-like, I went another direction and am glad I did.

I am enjoying Country music and while the Fender & the Big Al do well, I am still pursuing that Baptist Church low tone.

I am considering just adding another deep toned cab to disperse lowness rather than expecting another instrument to do it. It's another haul back & forth from the car to the gig but, it's also easier on the existing gear too.

Neveragain55 likes this.
  11. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    IMGP3939a.

Sire V7 5 string and SX Andromeda. The Sire is a VERY good value, very capable and very flexible J. The Andromeda is also a VERY good value passive J, as long as a truss nut in the heel (without an access cutout like the Sire has) is something you can live with (I can). I started on a Yamaha BB404, but learned later that I liked thicker necks.

Neveragain55 likes this.
  12. Neveragain55

Neveragain55

Mar 19, 2014
    Connecticut
    Pretty basses, cool.......

13. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    No disrespect and i'm not having a go at you but I gotta ask...... ummmm..... why so many basses that are exceedingly similar and (by reputation) fairly average. The money spent would (i assume) buy two or three higher quality basses (but not necessarily better playing or sounding, i will add). I can see that there are different pup configurations and strings, but i'm still a little mystified.

Don't get me wrong, i'd love to have more than the one electric and one acoustic basses that I currently own.

CPplaysBASS and AaronVonRock like this.
  14. I had a Peavey Fury P copy back in the 90s. it was a Christmas gift from my parents when I was 13. Googled a picture to show you guys and it brought back memories. It was the bass I really put the time in on in my early years. Used to play it for hours everyday. I might have to find a used one cheap just to hang on a wall.

image.

15. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Lull. Just extrememly well made. Not the relative bargain theyused to be, but I love mine.

Neveragain55 likes this.
  16. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    Warmoth ...

buy some used parts ... build what you want .. !! it is fun also ...

Neveragain55 likes this.
  17. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

I'm loving my Squier, but it IS a Squier by Fender....

Truly non Fender? I would think SX for dirt cheap money. Heard really good things about their PJ clone as a beater bass...

Never given much thought to ESP, but would consider them if I could get hands on with them to try them out...

A lot of older Ibanezes cloned the P, and PJ basses...

18. Neveragain55

Neveragain55

Mar 19, 2014
    Connecticut
    If you ever see one of the ESP Vintage series in a pawn shop or used online, check it out.

I think you'll be pleasently surprised.

19. Neveragain55

Neveragain55

Mar 19, 2014
    Connecticut
    I know what you mean but so far so good.

None of the usual suspects have ripped me to shreds yet so I think we're safe...:laugh:

20. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    G&L and musicman blow fender away if you ask me

Neveragain55 likes this.