other instruments?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wes I AM, Aug 5, 2001.

1. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone here at TB plays or would like to learn to play other instruments in addition to the bass? I myself would love to learn how to play the upright or double bass and the violin or fiddle aswell. anyone else have interest in other instruments besides me? and how could i go about learning the upright bass and violin which i am aware are both in the same family? I guess i am simply drawn toward the 4-string instrument family the most. comments???
  2. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i wish i wish i wish i could play cello
  3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Whoa, I just realized I never showed you how to play Death Blooms, did I? Yikes! Still need it?
  4. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    yeah, hey Angus, that'd be great. you figure it out yet? my new email is frostbite_03525@hotmail.com . so when you get around to it i'd love to see your transcription of Death Blooms. and PS, are there any other instruments you would like to play or play already?
  5. I used to be a drummer, until I decided I wanted to start making music. ;)

As for instruments I'd like to learn, it would be easier to list the ones that I wouldn't wasnt to play. Here's the list:

*WHEW!* Out of breath after all that. :D
  6. I started out with Piano, im working on some trumpet now. I've picked up a little banjo. I also played guitar for about a week, took it in and traded it for a bass.
  7. Right now im trying to learn the Harmonica, but its harder then it looks! I want to play some authentic sounding Dylan covers like 'all Along The Watchtower'. I also love the blues harmonica!
  8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Nono, I had the song done LONG time ago. My band plays it to warm up at practice.

I play guitar, but I don't *play* guitar, if you know what I mean. When I was younger, I was pretty good, but since I stopped playing very much, it's gone.

I'd love to be able to play double bass, or cello.
  9. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Id like to become a very proficient drummer, and learn to play a violin
  10. Lord Bishop

Lord Bishop Guest

Jul 16, 2001
    Brooklyn N.Y.
    I've played bass for 18 years and guitar for 16. My very first instrument was the violin, which I played for 5 years, until I started playing bass. I'm sure if I were to pick it up again my bowing technique would come back quickly. I also dabble with the keys. :cool:
  11. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I played oboe for years. Some sax. Guitar of course (I had to learn more to help those woefull guitarists I've worked with). I also started learning bagpipes (not a joke) but my gigging schedule started to fill up.
  12. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Well......I just bought a geetar, (De Armond M75 to be precise).
    I LOVE slide guitar,this is what I will be using it 100% for as the guitarist I play with won't "Lower" himself to play slide.
    Am I redeemed?.............no, thought not
  13. I'm a guitar player, at many times I play it more than bass (dont kill me!). I wrote a song on piano, although i dont own a piano so I cant really fiddle around on that. I also play a wee bit of harmonica, but thats just a thing to mess around on, not something I take too seriously ;)

I'd love to play double bass and maybe steel guitar, and I'd love to get the drums down.
  14. Edge

Edge Guest

Aug 6, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    In addition to my Martin Acoustic bass, I have an Yamaha elec/acous guitar (Johnny Cash Black) and I recently bought a Tacoma Mandolin M-2. The guitar is fun to rock on, but the Mando is a whole new animal, reversed to GDAE. Ive only had it 3 weeks. So far its cool to noodle Zeps Battle of Evermore. Its easy to take camping or on a hike, so hopefully I get there.
  15. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i can play well:
    bass (elec and upright)

i can kindof play:

i wish i could play:
    HAMMOND B3!!! there's no other instrument that is as powerful as a B3 w/leslie speaker.

and i wish i could sing better.

16. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    great posts guys. i love the slide guitar aswell. talk about an instrument with a great potential for expressing emotion. hey Angus , you ever gonna send Death Blooms my way?

slide guitar
  17. Instruments played:
    Bass Guitar
    Electric Guitar
    Acoustic Guitar
    Clarinet (aw shaddup! :D)

Instruments that I would like to learn:
    Double Bass
  18. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    After Taco Bell, I kinda sound like a tuba. Does that count?