Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

other l-2000 owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Aug 24, 2003.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm getting my L-2000 sometime within the next week. For those who have one, what is the best way to make it aouns like a Stingray? Thats the main reason I'm buying it, and I've heard it nails the sound. So give me some setting ideas, please.

~Patrick

2. solo the bridge pickup. put it in active mode. and then you can decide if you want series or paralell and your other eq options. but I find that it is like a stingray with more eq options just on the bridge pickup. it also gets a great P bass sound on the neck pickup alone. and some good jazz sounds too. it is not a jazz bass but it gets a good jazzy growl going on. its a great bass with all the tone you could ever need. you will be happy with it.

3. I'll agree with supernaut on that.....just solo the bridge pickup and put the preamp on. What finish are you getting on yours?

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If the main reason you're getting it is to sound like a Ray, why not buy a Ray? I have one & it gets a nice Ray type sound but it dosen't nail it, IMO.

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm getting it in Natural Rosewood. I'm not getting a Stingray because I dont have that kind of money. I'm getting the L2000 for 450 used. Plus, I love the fact I can geta P-bass and Stingray sound in one bass.

~Patrick

6. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I played an '84 L2000 as my only bass for 13 years. I predict you will be very happy with yours. It covers quite a range and sounds great in almost every pickup and tone combination. I usually ran mine bridge pickup, passive, parallel with both bass and treble cut almost all the way.

Neither of the pickups on the L2000 are in the same spot as a Stingray, but you can get very close to covering the Stingray tone. To really nail it, the G&L L1500 and Climax are the basses to try (single pickup in the right spot).