Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Other people using yer stuff.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    How do you guys feel about other people using your equipment.

Lately my cover band has been playing with other cover bands and sharing equipment. Nobody seems to have a problem with this but me. I have a 25 year old Peavey combo, it's part of my sound, I love it, it treats me wonderfully, and I fear for it's life anytime anyone else uses it. Chances are nothings going to happen to it, but I go nuts - piss the other bass players off by telling them they can't crank it the way they want to - I hover over it when they're fiddlin with it. I hate doing that, but I feel like it's my baby.

They never have a problem letting me use their amps so it makes it even harder, and the guys in my band aren't very supportive. I haven't had THE NERVE yet to JUST SAY NO! It seems like saying no would cause more problems then the anxiety I have to deal with for the 45 minutes the other band is playing.

What's your take on this stuff.

2. I think it comes down to the fact that it's your equipment. I've seen people break other's gear before, and for that reason I'm hesitant to let others use my equipment. But in the same respect, I'm hesitant to play on someone else's gear.

Most people probably understand that fact, and would probably be happier playing on their own stuff. I wouldn't mind being the only person to bring my equipment. My stuff rocks. I like playing on my stuff. I'm most comfortable when I play with my equipment. Most people probably are also.

Besides....drummers usually bring their own cymbals/toms/throne/pedals. The time it takes to break down/set up the drums, you could have the equipment changed out and soundchecked.

3. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    If someone breaks it,you could make some money.If they did break it,they would have to pay you back.When they ask how much it's worth,just add a few (hundred) dollars.:p ;)

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I don't really care about people playing through my amp. To me, amp's aren't nearly as personal as basses/guitars.

I feel odd letting someone I don't know play one of my basses. On the other hand, if it's someone I know well, it doesn't bother me. (Usually cause I've seen their basses and see that they take good care of them. People who take good care of their instruments are usually going to take care of others when they are playing them.)

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I'm a bit hesitant to let others use my amp, basically because I'm anal. It's hard for me to let even the other people in my band load and unload my rig because they just seem so careless with it. Except for the drummer, because he's like me, which means he treats my stuff really well.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Depends on who it is and my snap judgment of them! I've let people use my amp before and told others they should just go through the PA and never to even look sideways at it. I'm not into trying to collect money from some dead beat who dumps a beer into my power amp. On the other hand, a fairly sober, articulate bassist would have good odds of using it as long as I watch their set up and make sure they aren't going to fry anything.

7. I absolutely HATE to let others use my equipment, especially if I don't know them. I loaned my head to a friend a few weeks ago because his was on the fritz, and I was nervous the whole night. It's sad but true, people usually don't use alot of caution if the equipment isn't their own. I also have a rule, NO beverages allowed on top of my rig for any reason. Even if you'll pay for it if you screw up, It's MY rig, I payed for it, end of story.

8. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    ... letting people I know will take good care of it use it because I enjoy hearing it on recordings or live (how else will you ever know what you actually sound like *in the room*?).

Someone I don't know or trust? Once, but likely never again. Nothing happened to my amp, but I still have visions of them unplugging without first turning the gain down, etc.

9. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    i hate letting others use my equipment.

amps less so then basses but still.. you cant really dent or scratch an amp ( at least very easily ) where as its really easy to scratch a bass.

10. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.

Funny, I feel the opposite. A bit of wear on a bass builds character. You'd have to bump it unlikely hard to make it unplayable. On the other hand, you can easily damage an amp beyond use.

11. I feel the same way. I really don't like people using my equip., not so much if I know them well, but if they're strangers, I'll usually just say "no". Nothing bad has happened, but I've heard too many horror stories, I'm usually a pretty laid-back and gentle guy. But I'd hate to imagine what I'd be like if someone did something wrong to my amp or bass. I'm more concerned with the amp, because A) its more expensive, B) I don't like people messing with my eq. C) It'd cost a lot more to repair/replace.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Uh, let me think-
    WT-300
    2 D-410XLT's
    MTD K5
    Ibanez GSR200

...nope. Never lend it to anyone. Cept maybe bassbrobrad iffin he greases my palm a little to partake of it.

(Brad, you listening!?) :D

13. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It would depend on how well I knew them. A band I was in once used to play regular gigs with another band, and we got to know them pretty well. We would share equipment, and I even let the other bass player use my bass one night. I would probably not do that with someone I didn't know, though, unless one of my bandmates knew them well and could vouch for them. We have a fairly small music community here in Honolulu, where everyone seems to know everyone else, and often other musicians that we know come to our gig. We usually let them sit in on a song or two, and I've let one or two of them use my bass (and amp)before, but they generally don't change anything on the amp. If no one in the band knows them and they want to sit in, we just say no.

14. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I have been in the "host" band for "Jam Nights" at a few clubs. For those gigs I always used the back-up gear - a Squier Pro-Tone 4-string bass and a Peavey TNT combo amp. I never had any problems, and most players treated my gear with respect.

Joe Nerve, if this gear sharing is happening on a regular basis, maybe you should invest in an outboard compressor or limiter and put it before your amp's input. You can set the comp/limiter to only allow a signal level acceptable to you, and you can tell the other players "hands off" the comp/limiter. This may act as a "safety valve" and protect your amp from any hot signals and/or clipping. (If they crank the master volume, they may still be able to get your amp to clip...)

15. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I leave my SWR Triad at the church I play at. One of our vocalists in the Praise Team is producing an act and hosted a benefit concert featuring her and her band. I told them they could use my speaker provided the bassists amp didn't exceed the capability of my speaker (it didn't) and provided that the guy hosting the event took personal resposibility for the well being of my speaker. All went well, the concert was great, the bassist was smokin' and my speaker was none the worse for wear.

On the other hand, NOBODY uses my basses unless I'm right there with 'em. And even then, it must be someone I trust like a brother, or don't even ask.

Peace,

James Martin

16. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I would never ask someone else if I could use their stuff and am offended when others ask me if they can use mine. I worked for it, I paid for it and I don't want to take the chance of someone wrecking it -- whether they claim they'll replace it or not. I also hate it when someone asks me if they can use my amp and I tell 'em no and they continue to ask again and again! :mad:

Joe Schmoe: "Can I use your amp, man?"

Me: "No, you cannot."

Joe: "Why not, man? I promise I'll pay for it if I wreck something."

Me: "No."

Joe: "Why not?"

Me: "Aaaarrrrrrgh!"

Reminds me of all the times some knucklehead (usually a perfect stranger) would ask me if they could sit on my ride.

Joe Schmoe (again): "Nice bike, man! Mind if I sit on it?"

Me: "Actually, I do mind."

Where do people get their nerve? :confused:

17. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I´m very hesitant in letting other people use my amp. I´ve let other bands use it twice. On the first occasion we were warming up for a known local band, and I couldn´t stay to watch their show so I had to leave my amp in the bar overnight. When I came back the morning after, I noticed that the bassist of the other band had cranked my amp to 7 or 8 (9´o clock). ARGH! That bothered me somewhat, but the amp seemed fine.

On the other occasion there were four bands playing together, and two of them got to use my amp. This one was much better, since I was there all the time and I could have much greater control over what they were doing to my amp.

As for loaning my bass, that will never happen.

18. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    .. at a recent Garaj Mahal gig, between sets a girl was sitting onstage talking with Kai Eckhardt, then some guy sat down too and I guess asked Kai about his bass (ultra-expensive looking Hotwire bass), and Kai just hands it to him and lets the dude putter on it awile. Clearly the dude couldn't play, but he sure had a smile on his face holding the thing and noodling on it a bit. Man, if only *I* had sat down to jaw with him !!!

19. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Yo man, nice house, mind if i live in it for a while?!! :D

20. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Funny, when someone blew up my speaker cab at the blues jam a few weeks ago he didn't offer to pay for it :rolleyes: In fact, he seemed to be upset with me because MY amp quit on HIM mid-song :eek:

I have no issues with sharing gear with players I know and respect.