Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

other preamps/di's than sansamp or mxr?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Jun 15, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    what are some good ones. stomp boxes or even reackmoutn i dont care. just somethign that works real nice and is affordable.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Carl Martin (has 3 band parametric eq)

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    A DI and a preamp can be combined but they are two different things. The SansAmp and MXR boxes are yet a third beast, an amp emulator.

You need to decide what the heck it is you want before you go blowing any cash.

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    then give me a good preamp. im not to worried about di's. just shoot me a good preamp.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    aguilar db924
    fodera 2000 preamp

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    OK, now what KIND of preamp? Are you putitng together a preamp/power amp setup or do you need the preamp for some other application? What problem are you trying to solve?

7. judd levison

judd levison

Jun 2, 2003
  8. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    fodera 2000 preamp. Its stupid
    good! Very flexible sound and great
    build quality. Better than most
    rack units.... and cheap!!!

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    If you can find a used one it should set you back maybe $100 to $125. Nice pre for low dough. You got's your basic drive, 5 band, so-so compressor, the BBE process sort of aural exciter thing and x-over. You also get 1/4", trs and xlr out. Performance wise it's on par with the Pre in my Nemesis combo or in my GK 400. Like I said, for low dough not bad, not bad at all.

10. judd levison

judd levison

Jun 2, 2003
    Mal,

I appreciate your endorsement of the 383. Not a bad preamp.

Just for the record, the BBE Sonic Maximizer Process is not related at all to an Aural Exciter.

a great explanation of the Sonic Maximizer process can be found here:
    http://www.bbesound.com/technologies/BBE_HDS/

The new preamps are vastly different...

Thanks

11. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Another vote for the Fodera 2000 stompbox. Great tone, flexibility, true bypass. I even use it with my Sadowsky.

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Yeah - I'm never quite sure how to describe any of the BBE Process / Aural Exciter / Enhance / Emphasis gizmo's. To my ear they all do similar things in richening / fattening up the tone. I have a universal setting I use for all of them. That would be 'off'. Same with 1 knob compressors (I'm a bit of a compressor snob... I don't use the one on the Nemesis either.)

Having said that, I still dug the 383. A nicely designed piece.

I was sort of suprised to see that BBE dropped the X-Over. For me that was a real useful addition. You can always add a rack unit but then that's something else to carry and repair.

Actually if I get a line on another 383 (moved my last with a small rack setup) I'll add it back into my effects rack at home.

13. judd levison

judd levison

Jun 2, 2003
    Mal,

I appreciate your response.

My only point in the reply to your post was that lumping the BBE process in with artificial harmonic generators (like the aural exciter) and hi frequency equalizers (like the plethora of enhancers out there) is doing a great injustice to what the Sonic Maximizer actually does, which is correct for a common problem in all electronic gear trying to reproduce sound: phase distortion.

The only other thing I would say (and I don't really think I can say anything to change your opinion) would be that if the last time you heard the Sonic Maximizer process was in the 383, then you should give the current version of the process a whirl (in the 482i/882i or the new bass pre's and DI's)

Regarding the lack of crossover in the new unit, we wanted to keep it at a single rack space and there just wasn't the room for "everything" so we put in what our marketing feedback told us most players found was essential.

And finally, it's good to be a compressor snob! I'm one too. My favorite (as an engineer) is the old Neve 33609...really transparent. Of course the old 1176's and LA-2A'a are sweet. The one that really amazed me was something Presonus did a few years back called the DCP8: 8 channels, single rack space...analog compressors driven through software on a little menu. This thing was about the most transparent compressor I've ever used...a real treat if you need one for the studio. I see them on eBay occaisionally.

Thanks again.