Other Rickenbacker-like basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassWizard55, Jan 18, 2003.

1. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Are there any other bass makers that make a bass that sounds anything like the rickenbackers. Because I love the ricks, but I'd like something with a little more bass responce. Any ideas.
  2. Have you tried the capacitor removal trick? You could also try putting in Bartolini replacement pickups if you want a thicker, bassier tone.
  3. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    whats this trick you talk of, how will removing the capacitor get a rick sound? wouldnt fretboard wood nut material and body wood have more to do with sound? although I have never seen any pups like rick pups anywhere else so maybe I try this trick soon :D any advice.......anybody?
  4. My bad, I misread the topic. I thought you had a Rick already and wanted it to sound different.
  5. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    this is two different people...
  6. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    What is the capacitor removal trick by the way?
  7. if you dont mind going active, you could add a 9V battery and an EMG EXB control to any rick...

I got one brand new for US$35, and it works great, when you crank it full, it realy fattens up the low end but leaves the ringiness intact!
  8. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Nothing sounds like a RIC!
  9. DW

Jun 22, 2000
    I agree with Tim4003. And there are no other RIC-like basses.

A 4003 has tons of warm, detailed bass response. If you add a preamp or replace the pups with Barts, that's your business, but what you get will not sound like a RIC. The Barts are_not_bassier than the standard RIC "high gain" (button top) pups, they have a thicker midrange and more overall output.

If you have a 4001 or a pre-'86 4003, there is an extra capacitor that was used to lower the bridge pickup output. This can be removed, and IMO should be removed. If you have a newer 4003 and don't have adequate bass output, there's something wrong.
  10. I have been playing Ric's since I was 16 (now 40) and nothing can even compare to its sound. I would try working with your rig/cabinet and effects for more deep bass sounds, though I get plenty of low end from my Ric (I also play Carvins, Conklins and a Dean 8 string). Try a sans amp RBI rackmount....huge tone and bass end!
  11. Wow, I replaced the stock HI-Gain PUs with the vintage reissue ones and ADDED that cap. In my opinion now my bass sounds like a real rick! That cap shouldn't be removed.