Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Otiel Burbridge

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by currentbuzz, Mar 11, 2006.

1. currentbuzz

currentbuzz

Mar 4, 2006
    The guy from Aquarium Rescue Unit, Allman Brothers, Oteil and the Peacemakers... is he underrated or overrrated??

Thread open for comments about this felow bass player

2. Underrated.. Monster of a bass player.. One on the more melodic soloists out there..

3. currentbuzz

currentbuzz

Mar 4, 2006

+1 to that!

i agree.. :bassist:

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    He's awesome, but don't let us grade him for you, listen to him and make up your own mind.

5. currentbuzz

currentbuzz

Mar 4, 2006
    as ive said from my earlier post i agree that he is underrated and of course i have my own opinion about the guy.. i just want to hear from the TB community of what they have to say bout Oteil..

6. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Sorry, didn't see your second post.

7. currentbuzz

currentbuzz

Mar 4, 2006
    no harm done... cheers ;)

8. UNDERATED!!I saw OTIEL @ the House of Blues and,He blew my frickin mind!!!I cant even tell you how that nite changed how I look at the Bass.One of the Masters IMHO.

9. JHL

JHL

Apr 8, 2005
    London, England
    Awesome soloist! I'd say he needs some more spotlight :]

10. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Brilliant Bassist, no doubt, but I sometimes find his sound to be a little thin.

His playing is mind blowing though, no doubt

11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    AMAZING player and incredibly humble person. He invited himself to sit with my girlfriend and I at a Wooten concert, and was every bit as excited as I was to see the band. He turned to us on more than one occasion with a HUGE smile and shouted things like "wow, did you see that?!"
    One negative I must comment on, though, is that whatever brand of deodorant he was using at the time wasn't really working for him.

12. That was The FUNK!!!
    :) :confused:

13. Amazing bassist and a really kind person.

To the comment about his thin sound... I blame it on the Modulus. I believe he's playing Fodera's now, so give it another shot when he rolls through your town.

14. I've got the latest Allman Bros and Peacemakers albums. Otiel is such a sadly underrated player. He just rips everything up.

15. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    one hell of a player, no doubt about that:bassist:

16. I think he is amazing. Top notch. One of my favorites.

17. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Otiel is understated in his mannerisms and demeanor so his low profile is not surprising.

But his playing is at a level high above most others. LOVE it!

18. +1 on that!

19. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004

Low blow.

20. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Nice artical on Otiel in the latest Bassics magazine! Besides being just a monster player, seems like a great guy who plays music for all the right reasons.