1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Otiel Burbridge

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by currentbuzz, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Yeh, I know for a fact it's going to be his graphite neck. Didn't know he's been using Foderas now though.

Truth is, if the ARU don't come over here to the UK anytime soon, chances of me seeing Oteil live are slim!

2. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Outstanding player.

3. JazzBassMayn

JazzBassMayn

Dec 10, 2005
    Oregon, OH
    I think Oteil is one of the best bass players out there. Every note he plays is right where it should be. He just grooves effortlessly.

4. I think he knows more about harmony than most guitar players and keyboardists! His solos are always chock full of color, not just ripping up the pentatonic.

5. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    If I may quote Victor Wooten,

Victor-"You like the Allman Brothers?"

Me(I was wearing a ABB t-shirt)-"Oh yeah!!"

Victor-"Man Oteil...that guy is scary."

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Oteil is a great guy....and funny as Hell.
    I remember sending a Kamikaze up to him during a set...he puts it down in 1 gulp & then comes out with this low, low voice sayin'-
    "WOW".

Then there's this video out there somewhere of him sneaking up behind me(like a panther...I'm not kidding) in a failed attempt to pants me on some beach in NC.

7. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    i get to open for oteil in NYC on FRIDAY april 28th!!!

8. I think I only have one release with Oteil, but it's a DOOZY!

"The Strangers Hand" on Tone Center Records.

It's Oteil, Steve Smith on drums, Howard Levy on harmonica and piano and Jerry Goodman on electric violin.

Killer fusion.

9. ai4281

ai4281

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver
    he's really good and definitely underrrated,,, but I can't stand his voice + bass thing... it gets annoying after a while

10. JazzBassMayn

JazzBassMayn

Dec 10, 2005
    Oregon, OH
    I think his bass/voice thing is pretty cool. When I saw him he didn't overdo it at all.

11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    He's not overrated, that's for sure. The man can play...

MM

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Maybe he should stay off motorcycles though;)

13. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    all allman's should stay off motorcycles!!!

14. Otiel is without doubt an awesome bassist. I love his scat vocals too!

15. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Amazing bassist, underrated IMO.

16. Dark Star

Dark Star

Jun 18, 2008
    CT, RI, NC
    Amazing bassist and person.

17. Jeramaya

Jeramaya

Feb 18, 2007
    Madison, WI
    What little I've heard has been excellent, but I really would like to hear more. For what reasons, if any, do you like certain recordings over others and which ones are they?

18. He is a great bassist. I got to hang with him after an ARU show once, super cool guy.:cool:

19. buckminster

buckminster Banned

Apr 29, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Wow this got resurrected after over two years. Yes, Oteil is amazing and I got to see him with Colonel Bruce Hampton and the Aquarium Rescue Unit three times. As it happened, a bandmate of mine was playing in an opening act when they played in Sacramento. My bandmate met them after the show and invited them over to our house the next day. We couldn't believe it, but they took us up on the offer. The next day Oteil and Apt. Q258 stopped by our house on the way out of town. I got to meet him and practically crapped my pants I was so excited. And if peer approval means anything, when I was taking lessons with Kai Eckhardt, Kai said that Oteil was one of his favorite bassists.

20. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005