1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Otiel Burbridge

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by currentbuzz, Mar 11, 2006.

1. NickBass81

NickBass81

Jul 4, 2008
    Rovigo(Italy)
    Endorsing Bulkmusic Strings
    Outstanding player, no doubt...:bassist:

2. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    I am playing a festival with Oteil this weekend, but sadly, he's playing on Saturday and I'm playing on Friday. I was hoping to get to hang, but we have other gigs in Boulder and Denver on Saturday.

I've seen him many times and jammed with him 4 or 5 times and he's an amazing player, very humble and I think he has the best harmonic sense of any bassist I've heard since Jaco. He's really a very deep player. While he was gestating, his mom put headphones on her belly of Trane, Stravinsky, Bach, etc., so he was getting a musical education since before birth.

Plus, if you watch movies, check him out in Being There. He's the guy with the big afro who sticks up Peter Sellers.

All around, I am a huge fan.

Check out his Amazing Grace in the Mike Gordon movie about Allan Woody.

Here he is with the Peacemakers a few years ago at the Fox in Boulder playing a Gibson EB2:

Oteil.

Edwin
    PS All those Aquarium Rescue Unit guys are just the best folks on the earth. I get to see (and sometimes play with) Jeff Sipe pretty regularly as he plays with Leftover Salmon, my singer's other band. Jimmy Herring is also one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Col. Bruce sure knew how to pick 'em!

3. Speaking of otiel... does anyone have pics of his Fodera?

4. edwinhurwitz

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    I have some, but I don't have time to post right now. I'll get one together later tonight.

Edwin

5. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    My only exposure to Oteil is via a live recording of a song called "Working on a Building" with the Col and ARU. The recording quality is very poor and his tone is thin but there is still enough there to know the guy can PLAY. I have listened to it many many times and still only "get" a fraction of what he's doing.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i think it's still up at the fodera site... it used to be a while back..

:)

7. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    Hugely underrated. One of the very finest living players (IMO).

8. Wonderful player. However, someone needs to take that microphone away from him.:smug: That scatting over his solo's is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

9. lm183902

lm183902

Aug 19, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Here's the best pic I have of the Fodera. Unfortunately, it's not so good.

[​IMG]

10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Otiel is amazing, his booking agent is someone that I sub-blues gigs with...

I've sat in with his drummer, Chris Fryar of the Peace Makers, plus he just got the gig working for the Zac Brown, Band when he isn't on the road with Otiel.

11. edwinhurwitz

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    This is on the first ARU album, which is live and it rips. It might be out of print. But, there are a bunch of ARU live shows out there on some of the download sites. They were always pretty taper friendly.

Edwin

12. edwinhurwitz

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO

Here you go, also from the Fox in Boulder.

oteil2.JPG

Edwin

13. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    one of my favorite players.

seeing him with th peacemakers in a small club in troy, new york literally changed my life more than any other concert experience froma bass playing perspective.

14. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    can anyone point me to a tune where I could hear him playing the Gibbo? It strikes me that an EB-2 is about as far from a modulus as an electric bass can get, and I'm curious about how he sounds on a different instrument.....

15. Goodlawdy

Goodlawdy

Mar 27, 2008
  16. Nice find from the archives! Every time I listen to Oteil I'm reminded of his influence on my playing - I should probably write him a check for all of his stuff that I've stolen over the years. :D I still - vividly - recall hearing "In A Perfect World" for the first time. Laughing, shaking my head, laughing some more, and recognizing that this would be a total benchmark/milestone album for me...

17. A440Hz

A440Hz

May 31, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Digital Audio Developer, ScratchAudio.com
    I remember seeing him many years ago at the Fox Theater in Atlanta with the Aquarium Rescue Unit. I was pretty young at the time, and two things blew me away: 1) he played a six and 2) he did the George Benson sing-in-unison-with-your-solo thing. He was mindblowingly good then. And does seem like an all-around nice guy.

18. Goodlawdy

Goodlawdy

Mar 27, 2008
    Check out the link I posted there^^^. It's great to see him playing a p bass. As far as I know, he'll be playing TONIGHT on Letterman.

19. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Nice to see Oteil on P!

/rick

20. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    You gotta hear the new Allman Brothers Band - Live At The United Palace Theatre in New York 3-13-2010. The sound quality is not the best, it's a bit dark sounding and could've been mixed better IMHO. But Otiel is absolutely tearin' it up at this show, you gotta hear it!

Edit: I got turned on to this cd by a coworker, and just went to find out where to buy it (with not much luck). I finally found out (from the cd cover itself) that it came from http://www.hittinthenote.com